chapter 19

Darrian had gotten an uber and rushed to the hospital shortly after cynthia had gotten admitted. his hand were shaking rapidly the entire time he sat in the waiting room, waiting for any doctor to come out and let the group know an update about cynthia.

it had been an hour and a half, and there was still nothing.

"yo.." notti spoke up, making everyone's head rise. "who gon tell serenity?"

darrian ran his hand down his face, shaking his head with a loud breath. he feared that serenity would actually keep cynthia away from him after this one.

he knew he should be the one to tell the woman, even if it would be easier for cassandra to do.

all heads turned to darrian, who only nodded as he already knew. he decided it was best to do it as soon as possible, as he didn't want the woman to arrive too late.. incase cynthia didn't make it.

he stood to his feet, with cassandra immediately standing after. serenity was her aunt after all, and she knew it would be better if she was there.

darrian told the group go contact him immediately if they heard anything about cynthia, before he and cassandra slowly walked out of the hospital.

although cassandra was very, very upset with darrian at the moment, she still felt bad for the boy as he looked really stressed. his head had barely raised from the ground since the moment he had sat in the waiting room, his hands hadn't stopped shaking and he had barely spoken any words.

cynthia had told cassandra that she had saw darrian kissing someone, right before they had arrived to the hospital and she was carried out of the car by dee.

cynthia was her cousin, right now she was laying in the hospital, with doctors unsure if she was going to make it or not.. and right before, darrian was kissing someone else. it made cassandra angry, and as their uber pulled up, she debated on asking him about it.

she didn't know if it was the best time, or if she should just let cynthia talk to him.. and ir wasn't exactly her place. but she couldn't help but have this thought in the back of her mind, what if cynthia don't get the chance to talk to him about it?

the two sat in the uber in complete silence, as cassandra occasionally glanced at him, her fingers tapping against her thighs as she tried to keep herself from snapping. she felt as if she needed to say something, as it had almost seemed that cynthia seeing him kiss someone else, hurt worse than getting shot.

"what were you thinking, ddot?" she spoke, making darrian slowly turn his head in confusion. "what?"

"cynthia saw you kiss someone." cassandra told him, watching as his eyebrows raised and his mouth parted, before he just let out a sigh and his head dropped.

immediate guilt hit him, again.

cassandra shook her head, "it isn't my place, to talk to you about it. but i'm just gonna tell you— you know, cynthia used to be so scared of making her parents disappointed?"

darrian only listened to the girl, he didn't say anything.

"now she disappoints them all the time." cass continued, "she went against her parents for you.. she got in trouble, so many times.. for you."

"i think she's in love with you." that caused darrians head to lift slightly, his heart dropping.

"i don't see why else she would be doing all of that. and i think that's why when calvin tried to kiss her, she pushed him away."

cassandra watched as he kept his head straight, not speaking or giving any looks.. only listening.

"i don't know why you didn't push that girl away, because cynthia—" cassandra was finally cut off, as ddot turned his head, "i did."

"what?" cassandra furrowed her eyebrows.

"i didn't kiss that girl, bro. i guess cynthia ain't seen it, but i pushed her off me." he told cass honestly.

cassandra squinted her eyes, trying to see if darrian would show any sign that he was lying, but his face never changed.

cassandra opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off as the car stopped in front of cynthia's home. she decided to end the conversation there, getting out of the car and walking behind darrian.

as the two reached the front door, he glanced to cassandra who could tell he was nervous. this wasn't his first time meeting serenity, but it was the first time he would be speaking to her since he became a teenager, and now she didn't like him at all.

cassandra leaned forward, knocking on the door as ddot was hesitating.

they waited a few, before the door finally opened and immediately, serenity's face scrunched in confusion as she saw cassandra and darrian standing there.

"um.. hi, serenity." cassandra spoke, leaning in to give the woman a side hug.

"where's cynthia?" serenity asked, looking at darrian who licked his lips before they parted.

"umm—" cass started, only to be cut off by darrian. "she's in the hospital."

serenity's eyebrows furrowed, her heart sinking. "what?"

darrian scratched his neck, nodding slowly. "she was.. shot."

"shot?" serenity shouted, making darrian flinch. immediate footsteps were heard, and before too long, cynthia's father was standing behind serenity.

serenity glared down at darrian, tears filling her eyes. "you—"

"we need to get to the hospital." cassandra cut her off, making serenity let out a shaky breath before walking inside her home, grabbing her car keys and walking back out.

"what's goin on?" cynthia's father asked, looking at cassandra and darrian.

"cyntha- she um, got shot." cassandra told him.

the man's eyes widened, looking over to darrian who kept eye contact. the group all followed after serenity as she walked fast out of the house, and to her car.

it felt like serenity had went a hundred miles per hour, and they had all gotten to the hospital in around five minutes.

serenity sprinted out of the car, and into the hospital. she immediately asked for cynthia's room number, only to be told that she was going to have to wait in the waiting room.

ethan and david looked towards the woman, seeing as she had tears streaming down her face as she walked towards the waiting room. she sat a little far away from all of them, with her husband sitting next to her to comfort her.

as serenity looked up, she saw the group of cynthia's friends.

notti bit his lip, trying to fight back the mug he wanted to give the woman just for how she looked at them, but he knew it wasn't the right moment.

"cynthia cooper?" they all heard, making each of them rush out of their seats and go over to the doctor who looked at them all.

he sighed, making each of their hearts dropped as they immediately expected the worst.

"um.. we were able to remove the bullet, but we can't tell if cynthia's going to be okay or not, as of right now." he told them all, before quickly apologizing and then backing away.

each of them felt disappointment, but also hope that cynthia would pull through.

darrian sat back in his previous chair, refusing to leave the hospital. david watched his friend, knowing he wasn't going to leave him alone, he walked over and sat next to him.. shortly being joined by dee, notti and cassandra.

"she gon be ight, she strong." david nodded, trying to reassure both himself and the other.

cassandra bit on her lip, hoping he was right. she couldn't imagine losing her best friend.

_________________________