Chapter 19

Abu Huraira reported:
Umar b. Khattab was delivering a sermon to the people on Friday when 'Uthman B. 'Affan came there. 'Umar hinting to him said: What would become of those persons who come after the call to prayer? Upon this 'Uthman said: Commander of the faithful, I did no more than this that after listening to the call, I performed ablution and came (to the mosque). 'Umar said: Just ablution! Did you not hear the Messenger of Allah (my peace be upon him) say this: When any one of you comes for Jumu'a, he should take a bath.

Sahih Muslim, 845 b
In-Book Reference: Book 7, Hadith 6

*****

However, Hanan's steps staggered when she entered the office and witnessed Ammar hugging a woman whom she could only assume was Nadia.

Upon hearing a sound, Ammar looked towards the door, and his eyes widened in shock as he spotted Hanan standing there.

Ammar swiftly pushed Nadia away from his body, leaving her staring at him in shock.

"Hanan, it's not what you're thinking," Ammar rushed to explain.

Hanan fought back the tears threatening to spill.

Could she truly believe what she had just witnessed? Did Samreen's words hold the painful truth?

"Sweetheart, let me explain," Ammar said as he gently took Hanan's hand. She hadn't even noticed when he had approached her.

Sweetheart? Now she was his sweetheart after he had embraced his lover?

Hanan snatched her hands away, casting an icy glare at him. "Don't you dare touch me!"

"I'm sorry, Sweetheart, but please let me explain myself," Ammar pleaded.

"Baby, what's there to explain? It's just a normal hug, something couples do," Nadia Kabeer finally spoke after her prolonged silence.

Baby?

Couples?

Nadia's words pierced Hanan's heart, and she couldn't comprehend why.

"I don't want to hear you speak again, Nadia! And stop trying to mislead MY WIFE, as you and I both know we are not a couple!" Ammar warned, his finger pointed accusingly at Nadia, silencing her instantly.

Oddly, Ammar's words soothed Hanan a little, but she still couldn't bring herself to believe him. Who knew if this was just another one of Ammar's acting performances, for he was a good actor.

"Ammar, there's no need to raise your voice at your supposed-to-be wife," Hanan stated. "I'm sorry for interrupting when you two are in the middle of... Never mind, I'll leave and give you two some space." Ammar was alarmed, realizing how difficult it would be to convince Hanan that he and Nadia were not the couple she believed them to be.

"By the way, it's nice to meet you, Nadia Kabeer. It's an honor to meet you in person. I've always admired your fashion designs," Hanan said, forcing a slight smile.

Nadia stared at Hanan in shock, taken aback by her calm demeanor. Not everyone would remain as composed as Hanan after catching her husband embracing another woman.

"Thank you. Nice to meet you too, Hanan," Nadia replied with a polite smile.

With that, Hanan turned and left Ammar's office.

"Are you pleased with the chaos you've caused?" Ammar shot a menacing glare at Nadia.

"Baby—" Nadia began, but Ammar swiftly cut her off. "Don't call me that again!"