The Lies We Believed

Ichikawa found himself to be the one looking after Kimiko as she slept, but he wasn't quite sure how he got there. He felt his head going blank as soon as he saw the second gunshot hit her. The fake Tsurugi then disappeared with Mizukawa and the stones, and then... Then...

He took several deep breaths, trying to recall it all.

Someone... He believed it might've been Kamata... went to check on Kimiko. No one else dared to move. They could only watch in fear as she kneeled down next to the blonde laying sprawled on the floor.

They all held their breaths. The seconds that their caretaker hesitated in felt like hours. Finally, after taking a deep breath, she flipped her over. What they saw made them release their breaths with confused gasps.

The middle of her chest, which should've been nothing less than a hole with burnt marks on the rims, was almost perfectly fine. Her white shirt, however, was glistening, as if it was made of glass. Specifically, the part that was shot at was shining brighter than the rest of her shirt, and they noticed, after staring for a little while, that as the glow receded, so did the damage on the shirt.

Kamata leaned down, putting her ear near the girl's nose. She let out another gasp. "She's breathing! She's okay!"

Immediately, they got to work on moving her back to her room. She didn't stir once, so they concluded that it was the shock that knocked her out and nothing more. After Kamata and Aoi did another check to make sure she really was okay, and wrapped bandages around the part of her arm that was burnt from another shot... What happened after that?

Did they all leave to give her space and he was the only one left behind? Did someone tell him to stay? Did he offer to stay?

He leaned back on the chair, running a hand through his hair. Pulling it back, he noticed just how much it was shaking. Looking at his other hand, he realized that it had been shaking too. His entire body had.

He took another deep breath and let it out slowly. He let his eyes wander around the room, trying to find something, anything that could distract him. They landed on the table, where a white gun was placed. He couldn't remember who brought it in, but they all knew it belonged to her.

They all had their jaws to the floor when they saw her holding it, and they all saw how it was shot out of her hand, and...

They all saw how she was... shot...

His shaking got worse.

His arms wrapped around himself as he finally let that fact sink in.

She was breathing, she was okay... but she was still shot.

Had it not been for her strange shirt, she could've... could've...

A choked sob escaped his lips, and before he knew it, tears were flooding out of his eyes. He cried silently, for once letting his thoughts run wild. Thoughts only of the fact that he nearly lost her.

Even if, deep down, he already knew he could never have her in the first place.

~~~~~

Should've known this would happen.

Kimiko kept her eyes shut and her expression as clam and indifferent as possible as she listened to all the commotion in her room. She heard multiple voices, but gave up counting them when they started overlapping. Instead, she used her power to sense their minds.

Ichikawa, Konoha, and Kusaka were there. A few others were there too, but they were just on their way out so it didn't matter.

"Ichikawa, did Kimiko wake up at all while you were here?" Kusaka's voice came.