Edo Period III

"Okita-san is pretty amazing..." Tenma said, watching the man leave.

Fei nodded. "Yeah. It's like he has a strong drive, or tenacity..."

Tsurugi couldn't get the images out of his mind. Kimiko reached out to pull him out of it, only to be cut off by a call.

"Hey, children!" A man wearing green, grey, and black came to them.

"Nakaoka-san!"

"Where is he?" The man asked.

"He said he has something important to do." Tenma answered.

He crossed his arms, an annoyed expression on his face. "Why did he go walking about on his own? Didn't he think about what would happen if he ran into the Shinsengumi again?"

"I wonder where Ryouma-san went..."

With no one being able to answer the question, Nakaoka took them to his shared lodgings with Sakamoto. Nishiki was a little too excited, earning a scolding from Midori.

Nakaoka offered to let them stay over while they wait for Sakamoto's return, which they thanked him for. Kinako went to the window and opened it to see the view, but the man immediately closed it again, saying that they can't let anyone know where they were. The place was basically a secret hideout out in the open.

"I'm back!" The door suddenly opened to reveal a grinning Sakamoto Ryouma.

Nakaoka sighed exasperation. "You, of all people, should keep your voice down..."

"Ryouma-san!"

"Hey, you're here!"

"Where did you go?"

"Nijou Castle."

Their jaws dropped at his casual reply.

"I went to meet with the ruler of the nation, General Lord Tokugawa Yoshinobu."

"He wants you dead. Just what in the world are you thinking?!" Nakaoka scolded.

He laughed. "Well, I didn't get to meet him though. In fact, they tried to seize me when I put down my swords. I tricked them by pretending the general is behind them, and so, I got away."

"I see..."

"But thank goodness you're okay."

"Still, why? Why did you suddenly wish to meet with Lord Yoshinobu?"

"I've been thinking for a while now that something needs to be done about Japan. I want to make it a better country. A wonderful country that can bring pride to the world. For that, I will do anything."

"But still, to enter onto Lord Yoshinobu's grounds of your own accord... It's just like you, but it's still crazy!"

"But in the end, I got turned away at the gate. What to do now..."

And so, seeing the man laying down, lost in his frustrations, Tenma suggested they play more soccer.

Because of course that's what he'll think of to make anyone feel better.

You can't blame him since it's always worked this far.

Seeing them play with smiles around the field, she couldn't disagree. Kimiko gave a sigh before turning to Tsurugi. Anyways, are you―

"What's wrong?" Fei suddenly walked up to him and cut her focus.

The navy haired boy turned to him before shaking his head. "No, nothing." And he immediately walked off, surprising the green haired boy.