⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯ 3 ◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆

"Look what the earthquake dragged in."

"Aww, look at their spooning." Alice's voice stirred me from sleep as she softly kicked Ells and Dowin wake. Dowin sat up first, his whoop of joy waking me with a startle, thinking something had happened.

I knew it they would be fine. I yawned, realizing I could just go back to sleep as I moved Lorelei off my feet, instead instantly snapping awake as Alice squatted in front of me.

"I don't know if I'm happy to see you alive, or pissed off that you're not freaking dead yet." Her words were a slap in the face. A quick way to snap me back to reality.

I want to throw my hands around her with relief. She's okay. I dropped my smile. Her glare reminding me that she wasn't my friend any longer. She stood back up as she woke Leo by poking his stomach.

He's alive as well.

Crete most likely wished for the second option Alice wanted for me. His eyes drifted down my face and stayed on my arm. The bandage I put around it feel like a rag sticking to my skin uselessly.

I hate him. It makes me feel like it's a waste of bandages on me.

I looked over him and Alice; they look so much better than the rest of us. Barely a scratch on their bodies.

"Boy, you're wrecked," Alice said, poking at Leo as he swat at her hand. The bandage on his cheek was a warning for him to stop smiling or his wound would start bleeding again.

"Why are you guys here?" I asked, realizing my tone sounds judgmental. "Why the nurse's office?"

"We got some kids wounded back up on the second floor. I found pigs here," he pointed at Alice, "when I came down here."

Did he find one of my kids? Are they alright? What about the others? I still need to find my group. Lorelei sat up, rubbing her eyes with dirty hands.

I sat her in my lap so she wouldn't get her clothes any dirtier. Crete started rummaging in the desk drawers for some of the supplies. I waited in the corner of the room, my mind racing on about the possibility of the kids upstairs being one of mine.

Lorelei pushed away from me and I watched numbly as she looked in the drawers along with Crete. She smiled to herself as she finally found what she's looking for. She stuffed stashes of lollipops into her pockets before unwrapped one, and popping it into her mouth.

I leaned my head against the wall. I'm worn out, even though I just woke up. Alice and Dowin started talking about something, but I zone their conversation out of focus.

I looked out the door and into the hall. Everything looks worse than it did yesterday. The walls look as if they are about to collapse and bury us all at any moment.

"After we get to the others, let's get the hell out of this place," Ells said enthusiastically.

"And go where?" Crete asked; he sounds angry. "Did you forget? We have no clue what the hell is outside of the grounds. There is no other place that took us in besides here. Do you think that people would just let us in if we leave?" He placed everything he took into a bag Alice carried.

He's right. I remember the day he appeared on the doorstep. Like most others before him, he was a wandering child looking for some food. Only three years old. He was lucky that day, finding the only orphanage left in the state, but he hasn't been outside ever since.

"Poop that, Crete. It's an adventure!" Alice exclaimed with a smile. Her eyes shifting to me, I can practically see her mind working out a plan. I feel uncomfortable as I realized I was definitely a part of that scheme.