⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯ 42 ◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆

It was not exactly the question I was expecting when I started talking with the captain. "No, I'm not an idiot. Yes, I know there's a war," I answered as respectfully as I could.

"Correction. You are an idiot. You're suicidal if you believe you should be traveling anywhere close to war zone areas," the man barked out.

Three seconds into this conversation and I already want to punch the man. "Can this idiot catch a ride on your boat or not? Just answer my question with a yes or no so we can both get on with our lives, captain," I said, regretting how snarky I sounded the moment the words left my lips.

"We leave in half an hour. You sleep in the hallway since there's no extra cabin on board. That works for you?"

"Payment?"

"Unnecessary," he stated, holding up a hand. "We leave with or without you onboard." He stalked past me to get on with his own business.

I can't tell if I pissed him off or annoyed him but I'm feeling both now.

I made sure to pay for my horse's care while I was away. Keeping enough money with me just in case an urgent situation occurred, I took my pack and headed on board.

A line of soldiers were making their way onto the ship, forcing me to wait before I even took a step onto the planks. The boat swayed underneath me.

"You are?" I was asked as a woman with slicked-back hair turned to me, looking over the papers on her clipboard.

I guess everyone has a snarky tone on this ship.

"Passenger?"

"Alright then, that's all of us," she shouted as the mast was raised by the ship's crew.

I found a corner with the least amount of foot traffic so people wouldn't trample me and sat down. Pulling my backpack onto my lap and leaning against the walls.

It's been almost a week since I left. I feel homesick.

The boat swayed with the tide as it set sail. The city started slowly turning into a blurry mess on the shoreline. I can't turn back now.

The eye bags under my eyes feel heavy. I haven't been sleeping well; only a dull haze settles over me when I try to sleep. The second some noise sounds from the dark, my heart starts to race.

I haven't been seeing Crete like I usually do.

It's a relief but an annoyance at the same time. I'm always bracing myself without even realizing it every time I turn a corner.

I hate what they did to him; his last words weren't all that impactful to the others. Vildrid. I hope you wither away once your king falls dead on the ground in front of me. I hope this all ends with there ashes being trampled in the dirt.

It's there fault.

They made this all happen.

The clamor of boots and shouts of the crew dulled down into a humming white noise as I focused on the sound of crashing waves and my heartbeat. Irene was happy—not a care in the world—as she played in the sand box. Milo was practicing what he learned with his wooden sword close by.

It's all worth it if I think of them.

The wind blew at my face as the hours passed, and the night fell over me like a dark blanket.

No one came for me.

No one bothered to talk to me as I made my way inside the ships cabin.

I didn't sleep all day. Somethings bothering me but I don't even know what at this point. I settled down inside the hall as the floors rocked with the waves. Another day is now gone.