⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯ 24 ◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆

I ended up staying the night at Grace and Heralds lovely home. That time gave me the chance to think up a plan.

I shifted to my side and pulled the blanket up to my neck. I don't know if I should be telling the others back a t the ship about Vildrid. Their chains are still tight around our hearts and I'm still bitter about the news.

How would Leo react? What would Alice say? Would Laurent be disappointed?

"Are you awake?" Herald asked as he came from his bedroom. I sat up on the couch. It's cold so early in the morning. "It's better if you get back to your people. There's always a chance Vildrid will come creeping from the fog and come back for us," Herald said as he pulled on a coat.

I followed him outside. The ocean weaving fog over the paths as we made our way back to the dock. I shivered, regretting leaving the blanket on the couch. Herald turned to me as we stopped.

"It would be better if you leave now," he said, before disappearing into the fog. He thought I would leave. Would that really be better for everyone?

"She's back!" Ronin shouted and the board leading back onto the boat lowered down in front of me.

I quietly made my way up. Freezing as Leo wrapped his arms around me in an embrace.

"Thank goodness you're alright," he whispered before letting me go.

"Let's get you inside, it's cold out here," Rifftan guided me into the ship. Laurent laid a blanket over my shoulders once we came into the dinning area. I was handed a cup of tea as Ronin, Leo, Laurent, and Rifftan, sat down with me.

"The others are sleeping? How is Milo?" I asked.

"You came earlier than expected," Ronin said.

"It's a good thing too, these three were going crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if they went insane with worry." Rifftan chuckled as he crossed his arms and leaned back.

"Milo?" I asked.

"He stayed the night with me, Kiki stayed with Alice and Donna. He's still sleeping in my room right now," Leo informed. "What happened to you? What did that man say?"

Better to rip the band-iad off quick and clean before I overthink telling them. "Vildrid was here."

"We figured that out from the guy's reaction to the ship," Ronin acknowledged. It took me some time to understand what he said. They knew. About Vildrid? Already?

"They took all the men capable of fighting before leaving," I explained, feeling the tight rope of overthinking loosen. "Vildrid said that they are coming back next year, once the children they left behind with the mothers grew up." I watched Leo's expression, unable to tell what he was thinking. Was he alright after finding out this place wasn't the fairy tale haven we all thought it to be?

"I'm guessing you have a plan?" Rifftan asked.

"I want to stay."

"You just said Vildrid was going to come back," Rifftan exclaimed as I looked at the others trying to figure out their thoughts.

"You want to fight," Ronin said slowly, realizing why.

"I want to protect. They're just children," I explained. I don't want them to be afraid, I don't want them to live that way.

"Did you even see those kids? What about the children on this ship? You know staying here would put them in danger right?" Rifftan asked.

His questions irritated me. "Can you promise me right now that we will be safer in another area? How long will we have to travel to get there? Will we get the proper defenses needed if we're still chased down? How much time would we have wasted?" I challenged him. Time would be consumed like gasoline in a fire if we all kept sailing. I'm not planning on wasting my time chasing some 'safe' land, not anymore.