⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯ 8 ◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆

I feel like half my heart is left behind at the house. Not because of the place, but because baby Irene is left there with Alice. I trust her and all with kids but it still feels wrong leaving them all alone.

Mud sloshed under our feet as we kept walking in the vague direction I think west is. It Isn't sunny like I hoped it would be, but at least it's not raining anymore. I tightened the jacket around me, looking around at the trees for any sign of life.

I haven't ever been this far out. Its been around an hour of us wondering around the forest already. A blanket of fog still hovering over the ground.

We rotated carrying the backpack between us, and soon it's my turn. It feels like time is flowing slower. And soon I'm in the back of the group, dragging my feet.

Leo's tired, but he tried to slip the pack off my shoulders. I moved away from him.

"I'm fine," I stated. Running into a tree before he could warn me. My eyes teared up from hot pain, and I saw a strange object flash by me.

"I-," Leo grunted, crying out as he fell backwards.

"Get down!" Laurent yelled, tackling me down with him as Crete got to the ground. I'm feeling dizzy as I try to reach Leo. He's groaning in pain, but Crete's blocking my view.

Crawling to them, as the mud sticking to my knees. "What happened?" Blood. Why is there blood?

"What do I do?" Crete panicked, as he hovered his hands over the arrow lodged in Leo's shoulder.

Blood is gushing into the mud from Leo's left shoulder. His face twisted in pain, and he kept writhing and twisting in the dirt.

I need to get it out. I need to stop it from bleeding out or its going to get infected.

With trembling hands, I touched the arrow. Shuddering, I quickly gripped it and yanked it out. Holding Leo still as he screamed. His eyes rolled back and quivered before he fainted.

He's fine. Not dead. It's okay.

"Hold him down. Bandaging him up will be painful, so I need to do it while he's unconscious. This needs to be done fast or the wound will get infected," I instructed Crete.

"Let's get over to those rocks first. It should be safer." Laurent pointed to a cluster of boulders that could hide us. I took out the first-aid kit from the backpack while he and Crete dragged Leo into the middle of the rocks. I quickly followed them.

He's losing lots of blood. I cleaned him the best I could. My hands covered in blood as I tightly bound bandages around the wound.

Crete stiffened next to me. "Damn it." I heard Laurent whisper as footsteps crushed down on branches. Old, was the first thing I thought when a man ran into view. The crossbow strapped on his back the second.

Crete and Laurent stood up as the man stammered on his words.

"Oh gosh, my goodness. I thought... Are you alright? Who got hurt? We need to get him to the clinic.Are you kids alright?"

"There is a clinic nearby?" Crete asked, weary of the man.

The man ruffled and smoothed his beard frantically. "It's in the camp. Not far from here. I'm so sorry. I thought you kids were a pack of deer. I can help carry him to the clinic."

Leo's going to die. The arrow might have cut into an artery.

"Let's hurry up." I moved so he could get to Leo. The bandages on his shoulder aren't working, and blood is soaking through them.

"Follow me," the man rushed, picking Leo up carefully. I saw Laurent's disapproving questions, but I couldn't care less when I know Leo was in desperate need of help.

I can't let him die when I have the chance to get him the help he needs. We ran after the man.

Soon the trees changed into houses, and we ran by people. It's strange. I can feel everyone staring at us as we blindly followed the man into a house. He laid Leo down on a cot.

A few women quickly ran over. Laurent and Crete were right behind me as I stood aside for the nurses to help Leo. A few minutes later, Laurent and Crete walked away. Bombarding the nurses with questions.

He'll be fine. He can't die. He won't. He's okay.

One of the nurses stood next to Leo, needle in hand. "I'll teach you," she stated letting me stand closer. I watched as she pushed the needle into Leo's skin. Carefully bringing it to the surface and sewing a part of the wound shut. I don't look away as my skin crawled with discomfort. She made quick work of closing the hole in his bleeding shoulder.

"He should be fine," she said, and I finally let myself breathe again.

"When will he wake up?" I asked, looking back for Crete. We should get home. It's not safe for Alice to be alone.

"You will be the first to know, I promise," she smiled. "Let me help clean you up," she offered, reaching out.

I took a step away, "No, thank you. I'm going to go for now, but I'll be back soon."

"But your arm is bleeding," she said worriedly.

I my hands are already covered in blood, so I can't tell if she's telling the truth. "I'm fine," I stated, taking a cloth from a table nearby and wiping my hands as I walked off. Her concern feels fake and misplaced.

I walked out the building and stood in the streets.

I'm out of place and nervous with so many people all around me. Everyone of them giving me an alarming feeling as they rush past me. This feels more like a fever dream. Maybe I'm in shock? It's already been more than an hour in the nurses room. To quick. Thing's are happened to quickly.

A stocky man with ginger hair and beard walked up to me with a smile. "Miss Anna, I presume?" He asked.

"No," I lied. Feeling repulsed by his attitude.

"Two of your friends are waiting for you with our leader," he said, ignoring me.

"Leader?"

"He is the chief of our village. Like a mayor, but with more power, so treat him with respect," the man explained. Walking away like he expected me to follow. I debated making him look for me again but ended up following him.

I suddenly realized just how dirty I was as I followed him into a lavishly decorated building. The man was tracking in dirt like I am, but I know the grime would be blamed on me. I'm filthy and uncomfortable; even my nails are packed with dirt.

He opened a door for me but didn't follow me in as I tried picking at my nails. The door closed behind me, and I walked deeper into the room. It's dark except for the warm glow of a fireplace.

I found Crete, Laurent, and a man about fifty seated around the fire on cushioned dark red couches. I noticed that Laurent and Crete were cleaner than focused on the man. The last time I saw a man his age was when I was three. How was he alive? Why was he here?

"Take a seat," he said, gesturing to an armchair next to him. I did as he told me, feeling somewhat awestruck. His voice is so old; his tone soft and filled with care.

"We were just talking about you," he said.

I tried not to get the armchair dirty as I sat straighter. My skin feeling cold and clammy, even though I'm close to the fireplace. Maybe that's why everything is bright white. I feel dizzy.

"You're bleeding," Laurent said, interrupting the old man. His relaxed demeanor shifting.

I looked down, scanning my body. My shirt's sticking to my chest, but I didn't know why. There's more blood. Why is there more blood? Am I bleeding? I stood, and the room swam in circles around me. I'm about to faint.