⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯ 9 ◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆

Drugged. Why else would I have fainted? They must have drugged me.

I shifted on the cot. The blanket draped over me Isn't doing anything to keep out the cold. I laid on my side, wishing I went back to sleep. Crete might get angry at me if I wake him up so late at night. It's better if I just wait till morning.

Leo's laying across from me, sleeping soundly, his head pressed into a pillow. He looked comfortable and warm even in this drab room.

Unlike me.

My arm is throbbing. A bandage bound around my bicep were I must have gotten cut. At least he's alive. I don't know what I might do if he'd die. Laurent and Crete are probably sleeping in some inn. I pulled my blanket off me and covered Leo with it.

I can't sleep, so I might as well try looking around while no one is here to watch me. I bumped into other beds as I went over to the door. I want to see baby Irene. I want to know if she is okay. I want to know if Alice is okay.

"They have to stay."

I froze. Realizing that the door right in front of me was not the exit. There are more people awake.

"But that girl is a problem," a man said. His voice not as muffled as the others. I stayed there, listening. It wouldn't be far-fetched if they were talking about me.

"We can deal with her, but we need the young men. We need manpower for work, and it could give us better favor with Vildrid," another responded.

I grit my teeth. How many times is that name going to come up in my life? Vildrid. Why is that name even here?

"The two that you brought to me spoke greatly of her.I'm sure the other one will see her similarly."

"So we take the girl as leverage over them, just like we did to the others." The voice belonged to the same person I heard just hours ago. I don't know the old man's name, and I don't want to stay and find out.

My shriek muffled by someone covering my mouth. My heart racing fast as she quickly wrapped an arm around my waist and dragged me away from the door. The woman let me go quickly as she took hold of my shoulders.

"Take my daughter."

It's the nurse. Her grips surprisingly strong, but her voice is shaking with worry.

"What?"

"Take my daughter with you. Donna, you have to find her and run away with her. I won't let you leave if you don't," she threatened.

"I'm not running." I tried to make sense of her words.

"Don't lie to me, you need to get out of here. Just promise me. Promise you will take my daughter with you," she said. Her voice getting uncontrollably louder.

"Where is she?" I hushed. Hoping she didn't shout for the others to quickly drag me away. She's right anyway. I'm getting out of here as soon as I can.

Every time the name Vildrid came up the headmaster of the orphanage would rush everyone out of her office. Whatever is happening in this place, I can't let us get entangled in it.

"I don't know," her voice broke. "They took her. I can't leave to look for her beacuse of my boy. Please, you have to find her and leave before morning comes."

"Do you know where she might be?" I can't just go barging into houses blindly looking for some girl.

"There's this one house made of stone. They took some boys there, your age. Donna must be there. Please find her, quickly." The nurse took my hand and rushing to the door.