Moths And A Flame

Aisa Banna Sawarna Mubarak Tumhien, Kam Se Kam Itna Kehna Humara Karo

Chand Sharmayega Chandni Raat Mein, Yoon Na Zulfon Ko Apni Sawara Karo.

Yeh Tabasum, Ye Aariz, Ye Roshan Jabin, Yeh Adah, Yeh Nighaen, Yeh Zulfein Haseen

 Aayine Ki Nazar Lag Na Jaaye Kahin, Jaan -E-Jaana Apna Sadqa Utaara Karo

                                                                                                       -Fana Nizami Kanpuri

Desire. Pure, unadulterated desire is what he felt. Where had it come from? He had never felt a want this intense before, not even with Humaira. It could devour him, and it wouldn't bother him. Through her hair, his hand slid down to her wrist. His eyes refused to look away from hers. The intensity of his feelings choked his core. If only Meerab knew that at this moment, she had absolute command over him. Murtasim Khan was at Meerab Khan's mercy. Her beauty stirred something in his heart that had been dormant for years.

Meerab's heart was in her throat. A single touch from Khan Sahab had sent shivers down her spine. It was not that he had not touched her before, but there was nothing more than friendship there. The intimacy of his touch, as he ran his hand through her hair, vibrated through her entire essence. All of her apologies had left her brain. Her breath is shaky, and she desperately tried to compose herself as her husband's hand slid down to her wrist. His eyes held her glued to her spot. Her heart stuttered as he ran circles on her wrist, and then his eyes narrowed, and his brows inched closer in irritation as his thumb hit the Khandani diamond Kadas Badi Amma had given her.

Another thing that had bothered him all day was a conversation he had overheard between Meerab and Badi Amma. Khandani kadas mean no choodiyan which means no sukoon for him. Since he could not get in touch with Meerab he had given up and stopped at a vendor on his way to the venue and bought her yellow choodiyan as a contingency. He would buy her all the diamonds in the world, but her bangles would always be glass. He took her hands in his and noticed the stark difference of his almond colour skin against her peachy complexion. His heart marvelled at their contrast. So delicate. So beautiful. His Meerab. His soul's spark.

Her hand in his Khan Sahab directed her to the sofa and seated himself on the table. Taking each hand in both of his, he took her Kadas off and slid them into his jacket pocket. Her heart hammered in her chest as Khan Sahab took yellow bangles from the box next to him and slid them down her hand into her arms. His every touch branded her. Meerab felt her entire body flush as Khan Sahab slid one bangle after another. His every touch lit a fire in her veins. His hands were warm and gentle, and his eyes were full of admiration. This was an uncharacteristic show of affection from her husband. Who was this man, and what had he done to her Khan Sahab?

The pleasure Murtasim felt when she turned crimson at his touch was inexplicable. She was not afraid but definitely anxious. Once he was done with the bangles, Murtasim turned her around. With her palms in his hand, he admired her simple henna. There was a simple circle in the middle with the tips of her fingers coloured. Then he saw his initials on the heel of her left hand. He rubbed his thumb over them in yearning. Her lips parted at his caress, and a sigh escaped her. The satisfaction of seeing his name on her hand was a luxury Murtasim would do anything to afford. The molten brown of her eyes was now amber. Her eyes were mesmerizing for him. Murtasim Khan was addicted.

Handsome was not a word that would suit him, Meerab thought as she admired her husband. His genetics screamed MAN, and his attitude commanded power. He looked dapper in his dark blue three-piece suit. His tie matched her saree. Her husband was effortlessly stylish. His measuring eyes were always filled with rage and were soft and whimsical. Meerab's breath hitched when he slid a diamond ring onto her left hand's ring finger. The princess-cut diamond held the same spark as his eyes right now. There was hope in Meerab's heart, but she knew not to let it get out of hand.