Khan Sahab

Bulla Maar Na Boladiyaan
Saanu Apna Yaar Rijhaawan De

Kanjari Baniyaan Meri Izzat Na Ghat Di
Mainu Nach Ke Yaar Manaawan De

Lok Ishq Nu Bhul Gin De
Te Saanu Gal Vich Maala Paawan De

Ae Bulleh Shah O Di O Jaane
Menu Apni Tod Nibhaawan De

Tere Mein Ishq Nachiyaan, Ve
Kar Thaiyya Thaiyya Ve

                                                                                                               -Baba Bulle Shah

Meerab was in the kitchen making their ritualistic night tea. Khan Sahab had looked angry when he came to the Dargah this evening. Throughout the car ride home, he kept her hands in his as he scrutinized every vehicle that passed them. He usually insisted on driving himself his way to rebellion and trying to get some control over his life. But tonight, all the cars had a driver and a security guard. He had ensured Agha Jaan, Badi Amma, and the twins were secure before leaving the dargah. They drove back home with the entire motorcade. The brutality was back in his eyes when he called Junaid Bhai and Armaan Bhai for a meeting as soon as they reached the Haveli. After the impromptu session, Khan Sahab checked on every family member before showering.

Meerab quickly texted her husband to come to the kitchen for the nighttime tea. She had already told the staff to rest for the night. Khan of the people needs a reminder that he is also Murtasim. Meerab saw her husband walk in while she was struggling to open a Nutella jar. She simply handed him the jar, indicating for him to open it while she went to take the eggs out of the fridge. Meerab quickly appraised her husband as he placed the open jar on the counter. He looked softer, dressed in his crisp white Kurta set, his wet hair left unstyled, yet there was a stiffness in his posture. She could feel his eyes following her every move.

"Tea in the kitchen today?" Meerab heard him ask as she took a baking tray and placed it on the counter.

"We are making Nutella brownies, Khan Sahab," Meerab informed her husband as she scooped the Nutella into a bowl and then placed the bowl into hot water to warm the Nutella.

"We," She heard Khan Sahab whisper the word to himself as he leaned against the kitchen island facing her as she cracked eggs into a bowl. She felt a blush wash over her body at the proximity. Closing her eyes, Meerab took a deep breath to calm her nerves. Opening her eyes, she saw her husband smiling at her, very pleased with himself. Delight replaced the earlier ruthlessness in his eyes. Meerab mentally patted herself on the back for accomplishing the first step.

"Since we are baking, what would you like me to do?" Khan Sahab asked as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and traced her braid with the back of his hand. He seemed to do that a lot these days. Small touches here and there made her heart thud in her ears, but they also meant that he was learning to trust.

"Go get the flour from the counter behind me," Meerab gently ordered her Khan Sahab, pointing at a large container. Khan Sahab chuckled, then did as told. Meerab added the flour to the eggs and instructed her husband to put the container back, to which he protested, "The staff can do it in the morning."

"Khan Sahab, we put things back in their place after using them," Meerab reminded her husband and nudged him to return the container. Khan Sahab has mastered the art of cluttering. The man never put the lids back on his toiletries. His pens, files, and post-its were scattered all over the Haveli. Meerab spent half of her time cleaning after her husband. But this was her Khan Sahab, and she would not change him for anything.