Hauntings Of The Past

"Universe, not again. You can't cause another tragedy in my life."
― Sharon Carter,

"Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
― Kahlil Gibran

Murtasim's heart was in his throat as he ran out of the cafeteria in a dead run. Time seemed to stand still for him, and the world around him blurred. Zafar's voice crackled over the radio, relaying news of gunfire at the hospital's front gate and Meerab's safety at the camp. Zafar had promptly followed Meerab when the camp paged her. Relief washed over him at confirming her safety, and he went to the hospital's front entrance to investigate the issue. With his wife inside, he couldn't tolerate reckless actions that might endanger her, the hospital staff, or the needy patients. These were the things that Murtasim hated about the feudal system: prioritizing ego over human life and emotions. When he reached the front of the hospital, his past stood there, casting a dark shadow on his present.

Ahad Qureshi stood with his men behind him, his firearm aimed at Rohail, who stood opposite him, surrounded by his men. Both sides had their weapons drawn, and tensions were high. Rohail maintained a nonchalant smirk, his hands casually tucked into his trouser pockets, but his eyes betrayed a sinister intent. When his gaze shifted to Murtasim, he let out a hollow, nasty laugh. "Welcome to the party, Murtasim Khan," he sneered, "looks like we've got a full house now."

"Gentlemen," Murtasim said sardonically, catching Ahad's attention, his gaze assessing the man before him. "This is a hospital, not a battleground. Holster your weapons, or I'll draw mine. I assure you, neither of you would appreciate that outcome." Armaan stood beside him, and his hand was already on his holster. Murtasim alone had more men than Rohail, and Ahad put together as his threat lingered in the air. Murtasim issued a warning before taking action solely because people gathered around them, and he knew that his Begum would not appreciate the bloodshed at her workplace.

"You do not dictate the terms here, Murtasim Khan. It is my territory," Ahad Qureshi asserted, his claim unwavering as no one lowered their weapons. "What business do you have in my city, anyway?"

"Ahad Bhai, did you miss the sign outside?" Rohail inquired, sarcasm lacing the word "Bhai". "The medical camp in the hospital is from Humaira Hospital and Surgery Centre, the one Murtasim Khan named after your late wife, my sister, and his former girlfriend. Khan is here because he is following Mee..." Rohail's voice faltered as Murtasim Khan's threat to break his bones echoed in his mind whenever he mentioned his wife's name. Murtasim Khan was a more significant threat than Ahad Qureshi ever be. Rohail reluctantly continued gritting his teeth, "He is following his wife."

Murtasim observed Rohail's hesitation with a smirk, and with feigned disappointment, he remarked, "Oh, it seems you've learned from your past errors, Rohail. Now, I'll miss the chance to relish breaking yet another one of your bones. If only you learned from your other blunders as swiftly, but intelligence was never your strong suit."

Then, turning to Ahad, he added, "If this is indeed your territory, then you should ensure better protection for your people." Murtasim noted that his anger no longer surged at the sight of Ahad Qureshi's face. He had never met him but had seen his images in newspapers and investigative reports. Previously, his blood would boil at the mere thought of him; now, all he felt for the man was pity and sympathy. "My wife is inside, and I won't tolerate any compromise on her safety, regardless of whose territory it is. Now put your weapons away and sort out your family issues like real men, or do you need me to mediate." His words had the desired effect, and Ahad lowered his weapons, his men following his suit. Murtasim raised an eyebrow at Rohail, who then signalled his men to lower their guns. Even though Murtasim was very well aware of the reason for the feud, he inquired to feel out the men before him, "Aren't you two family? Why are you two fighting?"