Mehram

"My heart made it's choice, and it chose you."
― Colleen Hoover,

"You are damaged and broken and unhinged. But so are shooting stars and comets."
― Nikita Gill

Dinner at the Abbass household was an exciting affair. Murtasim learned a lot about the histories of feudal families, their relationships with each other, and internal politics. He had always seen these families through his lens of emotion, but today he was presented with a different perspective, which Murtasim, the businessman, understood more than Murtasim, the man. Abbass Sahab was a man whose entire future was at stake, but he had calmly hosted Murtasim and his grandfather for dinner to discuss a plan of action. It was a lesson in diplomacy and negotiation.

Murtasim made a point to meet all of Abbass Sahab's grandchildren. They were pretty evidently scared but held their head high. He felt small witnessing the young girl's courage. He also saw himself in her and vowed she would not become a victim of this system like him. Now understood what Meerab meant on the day of his Pagdi Rasam. His Begum had told him to empower his people and give them a voice. He had to listen to his people for them to hear him. The only way to protect these young kids was for him to embrace their Khan's role. After dinner, Murtasim put his plan into action.

Legally, Murtasim Khan was now the guardian of four young kids. Until the oldest daughter turned 25, Murtasim was also the legal manager of the Abbass estate. First thing tomorrow morning, two things will happen. First, all four kids would fly out to Dubai, where they will be under Imaan Khala's care, who was also Murtasim's Nanny when he was young. She had no children, so when she wanted to retire, Murtasim settled her in his Dubai house a few years ago. The kids would study further and will be away from harm. Secondly, the Shah household will get a Notice of Collection from all their creditors. Shah would either have to pay all their debt by the end of the month; otherwise, all of their assets, including the haveli, would get auctioned.

Later into the evening, Muratsim and Armaan played soccer with the kids. The girls had noticed that Murtasim's lock screen was the picture of his wife, so they teased him using his Khaani. The infamous Golagappa date pictures were the center of the conversation. Armaan chipped in with a comment about his boss's obsession with bangles which earned him a sharp look from Murtasim. Armaan laughed as the girls went into a fit of giggles. The girls called their Meerab Bhabi beautiful, and Murtasim agreed instantly. When the girls asked why his Khaani was not with him today, Murtasim quickly blamed Armaan and used that as an excuse to video call his Khaani to introduce the kids to her.

Meerab was sitting on the roof of Rifat Khala's house with Aarzo and Heer, sipping saffron milk. They had just come back from Armaan's in-laws' place. The wedding date was set two weeks after Meerab's final exams. Along with a new friend and an old friend, Meerab enjoyed the light conversation. Three women who were in three different stages of their life were sharing their worries and joys. The conversation flowed from boys, babies, and husbands. The girls discussed the stress of managing a house and a career. They addressed insecurities and cheered each other's strength. They also planned the entire wedding and its functions sitting there.

"As long as Armaan Bahi shows up to his wedding on time," Aarzoo commented and then turned to Meerab, "Can you please request Murtasim Bhai to give some days off to Armaan Bhai?"

"Request?" Heer interjected, her eyes full of humor, "All Meerab has to do is say the words, and Murtasim will give Armaan an entire month off. I am surprised that he lasted the whole evening without calling her."

Before Meerab could defend her husband, her phone rang, indicating a video call from her husband, and all three girls cracked up. Laughing, Meerab answered the call, filling her screen with her husband's striking face.