The Mighty's Climb

"This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something."
― Elizabeth Gilbert,

"Have enough courage to trust love one more time and always one more time."
― Maya Angelou

As Murtasim entered the gym of his Karachi house in the wee hours of the morning, he missed the familiar scent of jasmine, and lilies followed him everywhere in Haveli. Her scent has become his siren's call. It irked him that he could not see the owner of this aroma for three days now. Murtasim had been fighting the urge to see Meerab first thing in the morning for a few days, even before he came to Karachi three days ago. But, if he was being honest, his eyes always sought her. She was the calm to his chaos.

While he chugged the homemade Chia Berry pre-workout that the Karachi Chef made on her instruction, Murtasim decided to run instead of his regular weight training. Junaid walked in as he put on his headphones, "Mind your own business" was his only response to Junaid's arched eyebrow as he headed out of the house for his run. A good run outdoors will hopefully bring some clarity to his emotions. He had been an absolute horror to deal with the past three days. Even his assistant Samia gave him a wide berth. Only Junaid had the guts to call him out for his horrible attitude.

Murtasim picked up pace as he exited the house and entered the rhythmic chaos of Karachi. The late-night video calls were not enough to settle his restlessness. He constantly missed her and worried for her at the same time. He almost fired his chief of staff when he told him he needed to go to Karachi for a business emergency. Murtasim was still irritated that she had refused to come with him. He missed her scent, the sound of her bangles, her smile, the taste of her coffee, and the twinkle she got in her eyes whenever she saw him. He missed the comfort of her lap that took his stress away. Whenever he needed something, his first instinct was to call for her, and he hated the hollowness he felt when there was no answer back.

Now that she had a phone, he would text her once every two hours to check on her. He could tell she was getting irritated because she sent him satirical memes as responses. If anyone ever asked him what his most profitable investment was, his reply would be his wife's Mooh Dikhayai. The bangles were the most melodic sound for him, and location sharing on the phone always told him where his wife was since he was always contending for her attention. She seemed fine without him while he struggled to perform basic tasks. Murtasim Khan felt empty without his Meerab.

His thoughts went to the morning four days ago when Armaan asked Meerab for her booklist so he could pick them up along with Arzoo's. Meerab had not even registered for her courses yet. She was planning to skip the semester altogether. Murtasim had sat next to her and ensured that his wife enrolled for classes before he left for the village in the morning and brought back her books himself in the evening. There was only one person he trusted with her tasks: himself. There was no way Meerab would lose herself trying to be his wife. He would not allow it. Her dreams were his priority, just like he took precedence for her. Haq barabar ka hai, he thought. She had claimed him hers once, effortlessly and without realizing he had surrendered himself to her.

The following day he had a different challenge altogether. He had learned firsthand how stubborn his wife could be. Murtasim had received a call just as he came out of the shower. His wife had asked for her scooter keys so she could go to the University to sign paperwork and make her new ID. Armaan wanted to send Meerab with someone, and Murtasim wholeheartedly agreed. He quickly dressed up and called out for his wife. He was knotting his necktie when he smelled jasmine and lilies, indicating that his wife had entered the room.

Murtasim turned to see the kind eyes of his wife that kept him anchored all day. " Why did you not tell me that you have to go to the university today, partner?" Murtasim inquired as she walked towards him. "I will take you to the university myself. There is no way you are going alone anywhere, partner." Murtasim declared as Meerab came and stood before him, taking the necktie out of his hands. Her bangles clinked, and his heart warmed."It is not safe. I will be worried out of my mind."