Gulaabee- Part 1

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."
― Lao Tzu

"Happiness is holding someone in your arms and knowing you hold the whole world."
― Orhan Pamuk

Murtasim smiled at Dua as she banged her rattler with zest. Junaid had gone with all the ladies to the salon to get it as today was the first function of Armaan's wedding. So, little Dua and he managed small things like businesses and farms. She had just awakened from her nap, during which he had sent emails and coordinated with his Karachi office. Friday was Armaan's Nikah, and his begum's first shift at the hospital was the following Monday. A package with the papers of Malik Haveli was delivered to him today, which now lay on his desk. He had the last piece of chess. Now, it was time to lay his trap. The panchayat meeting from yesterday gave indications of trouble brewing.

Dua's baby gym was on the floor, and Murtasim sat on the floor with his back against the couch in his office. Dua gargled in happiness as Murtasim played cycle with her little feet. Murtasim felt an ache as those little mirrors looked expectantly at him. Dua squealed in delight as Murtasim gently tickled her, and her laughter filled his office with joy. Longing grew in his heart and then came the fear that sometimes women don't survive childbirth. A world without Meerab for him was unimaginable.

Before Murtasim could elaborate on his fear, Heer walked into his office, "I am here to take my baby girl. Thanks for playing with her Chacha Saab." Heer picked up Dua as Murtasim craned his neck out the door into the hallway to hear the familiar sound of bangles. He had not seen his begum the entire day. Murtasim felt incomplete. He turned as Heer tapped his shoulder, "Your Begum has gone straight to Armaan Bhai's house. She had sent your clothes with Badi Amma, who is waiting for you in her room." A frown covered Murtasim's fair forehead, and annoyance replaced fear.

An hour later, with his family in tow and dressed in light green silk kurta salwar, Murtasim stood outside Armaan's house. He had rushed everyone from Agha Jaan to Ayat. Only Junaid and his family would come later to the concession for baby Dua. The Khan had arrived in their humble neighborhood; everyone was on the terraces to see him. Typically, the Khan only attended the Nikah and was gone in one hour. But this time, he would be there for the entire Qawali. It was not the Qawali but the Khan who had the excitement humming. The girls on the deck noticed that he was carrying a bag of Gajras in his hand. Instantly, every female in the neighborhood was envious of Meerab. Throwing his deep green chaddar over his broad shoulders, the Khan entered his sasural.

Meerab knew the minute Murtasim entered the house. The house went quiet for a second, then bustled with even more fervor. Khan Sahab was early. She was not expecting him for another hour. Meerab had come to the bedroom to get the gifts for relatives who would leave after the Mehndi and not stay for the Qawali. If her husband had not laid his eyes on her in the next 10 minutes, there would be no Qawali in this house tonight. Patience was not a virtue Murtasim Khan could claim to have. There was a brisk knock on the door. The stern sound of a fist on the door only meant that it was her husband who did not even want to wait for another minute. As Meerab grabbed her dupatta off the bed, throwing it over her shoulder as she walked to the door to open it, her husband said, "Begum," from the other side. His deep and velvety voice made her blood sing.

Meerab opened the door to a frowning Murtasim Khan, so she smiled her brightest smile in return. Murtasim took a step forward, so Meerab took a step back, his eyes not leaving hers with an adorable frown on his crown. Just like that, he was in the room. His large frame made the humble room look even smaller. Murtasim closed the door with his arms behind his back, and Meerab heard the lock click in. "Khan Sahab, you are early," Meerab said. The intensity of his gaze warmed her skin. His golden skin shone through the light green Kurta, enhancing the chiseled planes of his body.