Dilkash

Ki Mukk Jana Si Waris Shah Da, Likhi Ranjhe Naam Je Heer Hundi.

Vakh Rooh Naalo Rooh Vi Ho Sakdi, Nai Dil Cho Vakh Tasveer Hundi.

Nasha Akh Da Ik Vaari Chadh Jave, Poori Ishq Di Fer Taseer Hundi.

Jhootha Rabb Nu Tussi Kehen Waleyo, Nigah Meri Naal Je Dekh Lavo,

Jhooth Akh Kade Ni Keh Sakdi, Nigah Yaar Di Nigahe-E-Peer Hundi.

Teri Akh Toh Ohle Main Hunda Na, Maadi Enni Je Na Taqdeer Hundi.

-Waris Shah

Meerab was sitting in the car and saw the city go by as they merged onto the highway to Karachi. To say that she was nervous about the trip would be an understatement. Khan Sahab had not left very happy with her. Haveli was her haven; she did not want to leave its safety. Khan Sahab had wanted her to go with him. Insisted would be the correct word, but she could not leave Agha Ji, Badi Amma, and her kids. Ayat and Azan were her kids. She came from no background. Her baba had just found her and brought her home. Meerab now thought that she was made for this family. They healed each other bit by bit every day.

Her Baba loved her a lot, but he was always with Agha Ji. Meerab had taken the responsibility of managing the house at an early age. Her Baba was hopeless at most household chores. Aarzoo's mother had been her only maternal guidance. When her father would be away for nights with Agha ji, she would stay at Arzoo's house. Rifat Khala had taught her how to cook, manage and maintain a home and its expenses. She taught Meerab resilience and generosity. She was just her daughter's friend, but Rifat Khala opened her home and extended her love to Meerab.

But when Khan Sahab brought her to the Haveli as his prospective bride and went away for a week for work, Meerab got a family that was hers. Her grief was their grief. Her pain is theirs. Someone was always there when she was scared. Badi Amma has taken her under the wing like her own daughter. When she did not want to register for courses and Khan Sahab, in his usual fashion, demanded that she do it because he said so, Badi Amma and Agha ji had gotten through to her. For a change, someone was worried about her. Meerab loved having the security blanket of the family. They were each other's hope.

And then there was her Khan Sahab whom she felt a claim on. He always had a storm brewing in his eyes, yet he was the gentlest when it came to his loved ones. He called Agha Ji and Badi Amma at least three times a day. It had been their routine for seven years, and it looked like Khan Sahab was keeping the tradition alive. Ayat and Azan called him before they left for school and when they came back. And then he called or messaged her what it seemed like every five minutes. This man was so obsessed with his family that it was a wonder he accomplished anything between phone calls.

But then he was Murstaim Khan, his presence commanded your attention. He was always in control of his environment. He never missed a detail, no matter how minor. He expected to be obeyed yet he was very respectful towards his staff. As a natural leader, he adapted to his new role as the Khan with grace, even though she knew that he fought his inner demons daily. There was this underlying rage her husband carried which gave him a cold and dangerous aura. And she was in love with this contradiction of a man who was also her pride.

They could not be more different as people. Khan Sahab was flamboyant whereas she preferred simple things in life. Badi Amma had told her that he had bought her outfit for the party, and she was certain that it was over the top and expensive. He was quietly classic but loved throwing his weight around. She was timid and gentle. He was loud and assertive whereas she dealt with things with quiet assurance. He was messy, and she was a neat freak. That man did not know how to put the lids back on things after using them, unplug the hair dryer, or turn off the lights when he left the room.