How Rude

Caroline's P.O.V

'So we have 5 more days - including today - until she who shall not be named gets back.' We had resorted to calling Courtney "she who shall not be named" because Justin said hearing her name took the joy out her being gone. He wanted to pretend like she didn't exist. That is, until she comes back for the Valentine's Ball on Saturday.

Today is a mundane Monday. Justin and I are sitting in the back of our Chemistry class. Normally, Courtney would be sitting next to me with Justin on the other side of her. Normally, our teacher Mrs.Hastings would be sitting in her chair, sleeping with her legs propped up on her desk.

But today, Courtney isn't here and Mrs.Hastings is away on maternity leave.

Our substitute is a young man in his early twenties, around the same age as us. Daniel Swaré. That's pronounced Swa-ray. He insisted that we call him Daniel.

He's friendly but strict. Meaning he actually teaches.

'Hmmm...what can we fit into 5 days?'Justin mused.

'Everything that matters.'I said. He looked at me for a moment, seemingly deep in thought.

Then he asked,'Like this?'

Then he kissed me. God only knows how Daniel didn't see us, or anyone else for that matter.

'Exactly like that.' I whisper when we pull apart.

'Caroline,'Daniel called, pulling me out of my little bubble of happiness,'Why are you talking while I'm teaching?'

Why are you teaching while I'm talking? How rude.

'Sorry.' I say, deflecting the question.

'I suggest you listen to me if you want to pass this class.'

'Yes, sir.'

'Good. And uh, call me Daniel.' Then he went back to teaching and everyone else went back to looking at the whiteboard and - thankfully - not me.

'We'll continue this later.' Justin winked.

'I can't wait.' I smiled.