Chapter Thirteen

Cin's footsteps echoed through the dimly lit corridor as she ascended the worn wooden staircase, each step taking her closer to the respite she so desperately sought.

Her legs felt heavy, burdened not only by the physical strain of the day's trials but also by the induction of her new Foxglove. Lya had asked more questions than any of the other recruits and Cin had answered every single one of them. In the end, Lya had accepted her offer.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Cin reached the top of the stairs, her hand grasping the banister for support. The air around her was heavy, carrying the faint aroma of dust and hearth smoke. She glanced down the hallway, the flickering candlelight casting shadows along the walls as if even the inn itself felt a modicum of the exhaustion she felt.

With weary determination, Cin pushed open the door to the first floor, her gaze fixed on the room where Tamlin awaited her. The soft murmur of hushed voices reached her ears, mingling with the distant crackling of a hearth fire. She knew her sentries were close behind, their presence a comforting reminder that she was never truly alone.

She turned to Quiet Jon, allowing a hint of a smile to grace her lips.

"Perhaps we should redefine 'first thing in the morning' for the sake of our sanity," she quipped, her voice carrying a thread of light-heartedness amidst the darkness that threatened to consume her.

Quiet Jon's lips remained sealed in a steadfast silence. Yet, the subtle tremors that coursed through his shoulders betrayed the mirth bubbling within him, a peal of silent laughter that filled the space between them.

Cin crossed the threshold into the opulent chamber, her senses immediately ensnared by the heavy air of tension that lingered within. Tamlin, his features etched with worry, leaned against the wall beside the crackling fire, arms folded across his broad chest.

Before the hearth, Ander paced restlessly, his brows knit together in a deep furrow. The room seemed to reverberate with his restless energy as if the weight of an unspoken burden consumed him.

On the chaises nearby, sat Aeson and Aetlani, their young faces a mixture of guilt and apprehension.

Tamlin's stormy eyes, their depths filled with a mixture of relief and concern, snapped up to meet Cin's as she stepped further into the room. The lines etched upon his face softened, and he closed the distance between them with purposeful strides. As his arms encircled her, drawing her close, he pressed a tender kiss against her forehead, a silent reassurance amidst the swirling uncertainties that surrounded them.

"Aeson, Aetlani? What are you doing here?" Cin's voice, laced with curiosity and a touch of concern, pierced the air as Tamlin released her from his embrace. She instinctively reached for his hand, intertwining their fingers, drawing strength from their connection as she approached the two children who were far from the safe haven of the Spring Mansion.

"If this is about finding your parents, Aeson..." Cin began, her voice gentle but tinged with concern, her words trailing off as she searched for the right path to navigate this tangled web of emotions. She'd settled onto the sofa beside Aetlani while Tamlin had sunk to his heels, crouched in a squat beside Cin.

"We had to," Aeson interjected, his voice laced with an undeniable undercurrent of remorse. His grip on Aetlani tightened, the threads of their bond woven tightly together. "We are not safe there. We won't be safe until we get home. This was the only way."

The weight of Aeson's words hung heavy in the air, intertwining with Cin's thoughts. She had witnessed the yearning in the children's eyes, the insatiable hunger for belonging. But she also understood the dangers that lurked within the shadows, the cruel twists of fate that could shatter their newfound sanctuary.