Chapter Six

"I love you," Tamlin murmured as he brushed his lips against Cin's forehead, just above the emerald circlet.

She inhaled his familiar vanilla and sandalwood scent, then watched as he repositioned himself at the head of Lady Freda's entourage. Unlike the other village heads, who had brought a large number of staff with them, Lady Freda kept it small with just her two sentries. Tamlin had mandated that each village head be assigned at least two sentries, more if they had families they wished to protect.

Following the attack on Cin just months prior—an incident that had prompted Tamlin's resolution to have a sentry by her side at all times—he had extended the same safeguard to all the village heads. These leaders symbolized stability and order, making them potential targets for those who opposed their efforts.

"Hurry back to me," Cin teased. "You know how I worry when you leave the safety of these sparkling faeries."

Tamlin rolled his eyes, a small smile forming on his lips as the tiny flying faeries scattered out of sight due to all the movement in the gardens. Cin giggled, and then Tamlin winnowed them all away.

Standing behind Cin were the four nursemaids, Castor, and, as always, Quiet Jon. After their lengthy discussion in the Bronze Room, Cin felt like she knew the nursemaids as well as she knew Bron.

Poppy was the most like her, with a natural love of flowers and a deft hand at weaving them into her hair, clothes, and just about anyone. She had a nurturing spirit and hummed softly when she spoke.

Clove was strong-willed, loved a challenge, and had no problem being blunt. She had fought against Hybern alongside the gathered Prythian host as a sentry in Tamlin's first army. After all the war and carnage she had seen, Clove wanted nothing more than to channel her energy into fighting for her court as hard as she had fought for Prythian. Somehow, she equated this with caring for the children who would be Spring's future.

Kylia was a mischievous one, with a burst of infectious, lilting laughter and a general love of life. Cin knew she'd be a hard one to tie down. At the same time, having someone like her, someone so in love with being alive, around the children would be a great thing.

Maggie had been a hard one to read, with her quiet and reserved demeanor. However, after some probing, Cin realized how vastly intelligent Maggie was. She had a wealth of knowledge on just about everything and, as the fourth generation in a family of scholars, it was no surprise that Maggie wanted to work with children. Her curiosity and observational skills were keen, and she questioned everything. Although she didn't reveal it, Maggie knew a lot more than she let on.

All in all, Cin felt confident that this group of nursemaids would be the perfect fit for the children they would be caring for.

As the sunflowers at the edge of the garden swayed in the gentle breeze, Cin sensed a crackle in the air, and Tamlin appeared before them with ten children and a crate in his arms.

The children, with varying shades of skin and hair, all wore a haunted look in their eyes.

"This is Hyacinth," Tamlin said, lowering the crate to the ground. "She is our Lady, and this...will be your home for a while."

The only sound was the soft tinkling of the faeries' wings as they stared at one another. Cin cursed herself for not asking the nursemaids how to approach the children or what to say.

The tallest girl, with pale yellow-hued skin, gave Cin a pained smile and said, "Good morrow, my Lady. My name is Azalea. Thank you for welcoming us into your hearth and home."

Cin smiled warmly, stepping forward to avoid the careening sun faeries. "There's no need for thanks. We are happy to have you here."

"Home?" scoffed a blue-skinned boy, rolling his sapphire eyes.