Chapter Twelve

Tamlin's eyebrow arched in surprise as they arrived back at Heath's Inn. "You found another one?"

"Yes, I did. And I'll need to borrow Ander to help me retrieve her," she replied firmly, pausing briefly at the base of the stairs that would lead them up to their rooms.

Tamlin's eyes narrowed slightly, but he didn't protest. He knew that Cin was a capable woman, and if she needed assistance from Ander, then he would lend him to her aid without hesitation.

Ander's voice was firm as he interjected, "My lord, I'd advise against that. We need to go over everything that was said and promised today."

"And you will know where to find me once you have finished helping my Lady," Tamlin replied in a calm and even tone. With a wordless nod to Cin's sentries, Tamlin twisted on his heel and jogged up the stairs, taking them two at a time.

"Her name is Lya," she announced, gesturing towards the small parlour and the booths off to the side of the foyer. "I'll be over there, Ander."

Ander let out a resigned sigh before complying with Cin's request. Cin, for her part, made her way to a secluded booth located at the back of the room. Her sentries followed her lead, settling into various seats around the booth to keep a watchful eye.

For a few moments, there was silence as they waited for the arrival of Lord Bryony's mysterious server. Then, Rafe stood up from his stool and smoothly slid into Cin's booth, his movements practiced and graceful.

Cin glanced up at him, her expression guarded. Despite the trust she placed in her sentries, there was always a part of her that remained wary and cautious around new people. But as she studied Rafe's features, she found herself slowly relaxing. There was something about him that set her at ease, that made her feel safe.

Rafe leaned back in his seat, studying Cin intently. "So this Lya woman," he mused, "do you think she could be like you?"

Cin's shoulders lifted in a noncommittal shrug. "I don't know," she said slowly. "Or at least, I don't know to what extent. I know what I saw, Rafe. And she changed the flowers in that dining hall."

Cin's sentries shifted in their seats, their gazes darting between their Lady and Rafe. There was a palpable tension in the air, a sense that something important was happening.

Rafe leaned forward, his expression thoughtful. "Your gifts are no secret," he said quietly, "not after the way you've spent the better part of the last year using them to all but feed this court. So I know she knows what you can do. But I have to wonder why she showed it to you."

Cin nodded slowly, her mind racing with the possibilities. "Maybe it was a warning," she said at last. "A way of saying, 'I know what you can do, and I can do it too.'"

Rafe's eyes narrowed. "Or maybe it was a test," he suggested. "A way of seeing how you would react, of gauging your strength and your power."

Cin's smile was small, but it held a hint of mischief. Rafe had always been a quick study, but there were still some things that he didn't know about her. Like the fact that she often left to collect her Foxgloves, and that Quiet Jon and Hadden were usually the ones she took with her.

At the very least, Rafe wouldn't know about the Foxgloves. He might suspect that she was meeting with other people who shared her gifts, but he wouldn't have all the details. And that gave her a small sense of satisfaction. It meant their secret truly was safe.

Cin's eyes were serious as she leaned in closer to Rafe. "If Lord Bryony and his wife knew what Lya could do," she said, "they would use her to turn Monarda into a paradise. They would have an abundance of food and beauty, regardless of how much of the gift she can access."