Chapter Nine

Cin strode into the Bronze Room the following morning, her eyes scanning the crowd of faces before her as they turned toward the doors upon her entry.

The morning air was thick with excitement, and the sounds of chattering children filled her ears, reminding her of the home she was leaving behind.

"Good morrow, children," Cin announced, pausing at the head of the table. The three nursemaids stepped away from the table, and she gestured to Castor beside her, saying, "You may recall Castor from yesterday. He will be in charge while the High Lord and I are away."

The children, especially Basil and Fern, gave Castor a thorough look up and down. Mischief was etched on the older boys' faces, and Cin knew Castor would need to have some hair on his teeth. Cin's gaze swept over the hall, noticing the lack of the white-haired siblings, and she frowned. "Where are Aeson and Aetlani?"

"Poppy took 'em to the latrine," Azalea replied, her mouth full of food.

Cin hummed her thanks, feeling a tinge of disappointment that she had missed the opportunity to say farewell to the little boy she had shared a cup of chocolate with. She would have loved nothing more than to wait for their return, but Tamlin and their entourage stood in the gardens waiting for her. She had stepped away to reintroduce Castor, but also to say her goodbyes.

"Well, be good, okay?" she said awkwardly, unsure if she had any right to ask for good behavior.

"We will," Moss called out from the end of the table, rising to dish more scrambled eggs onto his plate.

Cin retreated to the hallway, and as she descended the stairs, Abina fell in step beside her. Handing Cin a hefty satchel, Abina said, "This will tide you over until you return—one spoon in your breakfast tea to ensure you don't return with any surprises. I've also added pages to your notebook."

"And the ink pot?" Cin asked.

Abina looked amused. "No, but Ander was instructed to keep an extra pot on hand for you. He'll be your squire as much as he is Tamlin's. I really think you should consider—"

"I have considered it," Cin interrupted with a sigh, reaching the lower landing and turning to descend the final set of steps. "I am not hiring someone to be my Lady's Maid. There are enough staff waiting on my hand and foot as it is. Any more and I may run for the hills."

"The Lady's Maid would help you with your duties. She need not dress and bathe you as most do," Abina reasoned. She desperately wanted Cin to have the help she felt the Lady of Spring needed. "She would keep track of your engagements and responsibilities."

Cin chuckled. "There was a time when my only duty would have been to give the High Lord an heir." She slung the satchel over her head and hung it across her body, feeling the weight of it. The wildflowers were in full bloom, giving the foyer the most refreshing and pleasant morning aroma.

Abina scoffed as they strode into the side hallway, heading towards the doors that would lead to the inner garden. "You should have thought about that before you decided to save this court."

As they approached, Cin saw Tamlin speaking to Enzo, Ander, and Dannas, with Quiet Jon positioned behind her. The additional sentries Enzo had assigned stood in two lines of two behind their High Lord. When they joined the group, Quiet Jon repositioned himself to stand ahead of Hadden and Rafe, bringing the total number of sentries to five.

"When Hart passes through with his new group, house them in the East Wing," Tamlin instructed, folding his arms across his chest. "No need to expose those children to militant prospects."

"Agreed, my Lord," Enzo nodded, hanging onto every word that left his High Lord's lips. Tamlin's eyes flickered to Cin, and his gaze softened. "Ready to go?"