Chapter Eight

Cin woke up with a start, her heart pounding in her chest.

She sat up in bed, gasping for air, as she tried to shake off the remnants of the nightmare that still clung to her mind. In her dream, she had been pushed onto a table—the table—and was held down again, unable to move as laughter filled her ears.

As she took deep breaths to calm herself down, she looked around her bedroom, trying to ground herself. She fought the urge to run to the bathroom and scrub between her legs until the skin bled. She'd done that enough. The skin on her body only knew Tamlin's touch, it knew no other man. Her body was hers, this skin was hers.

She had survived.

She wasn't even in the house anymore. This part of her past was meant to be over, she was meant to have healed from it. What good was all the luxury and dotting if her past still crept into her dreams?

Tamlin lay beside her, his chest rising and falling with each steady breath. Cin reached out to touch his shoulder, feeling the warmth of his skin through the thin lilac silk sheet. He stirred at her touch, his eyes fluttering open. He looked at her with concern, his brows furrowed.

"Cin, are you alright?" he asked, sitting up and immediately wrapping an arm around her, ignoring how barely awake he was. If she needed him, he would be there, sleep or no sleep.

She nodded, trying to push the nightmare from her mind. "Just a bad dream," she said, her voice shaking slightly.

Tamlin pulled her closer, kissing the top of her head. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Cin shook her head, feeling foolish for being so shaken by a dream. "No, it's okay. I just need a moment to calm down."

Tamlin nodded, his expression understanding. "Take all the time you need," he said, his voice soft and gentle.

Cin leaned her head against his chest, feeling the steady rhythm of his heartbeat. She closed her eyes, focusing on the warmth of his embrace and the comforting scent of his skin as he lay them down among the soft cushions. She watched him for a moment, taking in the sight of his peaceful face as Tamlin fell back to sleep within moments.

But try as she might, Cin couldn't fall back to sleep. She slipped out of bed, the silk of her nightgown whispering against her skin. She reached up to remove the emerald circlet that rested on her brow and placed it gently on her pillow.

Cin walked to the window, feeling the cool night air on her face. She looked out at the gardens of their home, the stars twinkling in the sky above. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She needed to go for a walk.

Over the months, Cin and Tamlin had developed a system of communication using her flowers. Lavenders were used to calm someone, and this was how she would tell him that she was fine if he woke before she returned. Cin concentrated, and with a flick of her wrist, a sprig of lavender bloomed around the emerald circlet.

She smiled to herself, knowing that Tamlin would understand the message. She turned away from the window and headed towards the door, grabbing a gown on her way across the sitting area.

Cin carried the flickering lantern as she strode toward the grand staircase. The wooden panels of the hallway creaked beneath her bare feet. The mansion was deathly quiet, with only the soft sound of her footsteps echoing in the halls. As she reached the uppermost landing, she almost collided with Hadden, the tall and imposing sentry.

"What are you doing wandering about the mansion unaccompanied, my Lady?" he asked, eyeing her with suspicion as he paused on the top step of the alabaster stairs.

Cin lifted her lantern to illuminate her face, meeting Hadden's stern gaze with a hint of defiance. "Just going to the kitchen for some hot chocolate."

His expression softened slightly, but he shook his head disapprovingly. "You should have gotten one of the maids to get it for you. It's not safe to wander about alone at night."