Chapter Ten

Tamlin, Lord Bryony, and Cin stood side by side on the dais against the far end of Monardo's village square, a sea of fae folk gathered before them, their faces eager and expectant.

The High Lord had come to their village, and they were all desperate for the chance to speak to him.

A small part of Cin couldn't help but wonder whether the fae gathered were only there to hurl insults, accusations, and maybe even rotten food. Despite their warm welcome into Monardo, she knew all too well that things were not always as they seemed. In a crowd of over a thousand fae, things could turn ugly in the blink of an eye.

At the heart of the square stood a breathtaking fountain, its water glittering in the bright sunlight. Surrounding it were several benches where both locals and visitors could sit, relax, and chat. Today, in the warm midday sun, a handful of children were frolicking in the water, and the sound of the splashing water echoed across the square. Cin smiled at the sight, realizing that it was probably best to let the children play and cool off in the fountain, especially if the adults intended to listen to what Tamlin had to say.

Tamlin stood tall with a commanding presence, his voice ringing out with clarity to cut through the chatter of the crowd. "Good people of Monardo. Before we begin this public assembly, I want to take a moment to share some news. During the week of Calanmai, I plan to wed Hyacinth Fiore. I wanted to be transparent with all of you about this, as it will have an impact on our court and our home. My wish for her to be my wife will make her your Lady of Spring."

Tamlin scanned the crowd, his eyes alight with sincerity and a hint of nervousness. Though he wasn't the most skilled at commanding a crowd's attention, he stood tall and resolute, his hands clasped loosely behind his back. He knew his words didn't always come out smoothly, but he was resolved to see this through.

Cin watched Tamlin's hands fidgeting behind his back and knew what it meant. She had asked him earlier if he was nervous about the assembly and he had confessed that he wasn't worried about the message, but about speaking in front of a large crowd. Even with his sentries standing guard before the dais, Tamlin was still nervous.

Tamlin's voice was steady. "I know that some of you may have concerns or questions about my announcement, about our court, and I welcome them, in the spirit of transparency. To keep things orderly, I ask only that any fae with a question for me, form a line in the center of the crowd." He pointed to a spot near the front of the dais.

Cin watched as the fae murmured to each other, some exchanging skeptical glances, while others looked relieved that Tamlin had invited their questions. She could see the tension in Tamlin's shoulders, even as he tried to hide it with a smile. She squeezed his hand, offering him silent support.

Cin leaned into Tamlin and whispered, "It seems like they have more questions than you anticipated."

Tamlin nodded in agreement, his gaze sweeping over the growing line of fae waiting to address him.

"I suppose they do," he said with a small smile. Cin smiled at his words, feeling a swell of pride for the High Lord she served. He may not be perfect, but he truly cared for their court and their people.

Cin watched as the fae formed a long line, eager to have their questions answered by Tamlin. She couldn't blame them for their curiosity, not after all that had transpired in the Spring Court. As frustrating as it was to see so many of her people in the dark, she couldn't bring herself to be upset about it.

The woman with the orange and white hair stepped forward to ask her a question. Tamlin listened carefully, his expression neutral as he waited for her to speak.

"Before I ask, are our questions limited to this betrothal?" she inquired, uncertainty lacing her words.

Tamlin began, his voice low and measured. "The rebuilding of Spring has been a physical one until now, and while we have made significant progress, there are still areas that require attention. So, I urge you to take advantage of this assembly and ask any questions you may have, about the betrothal, about me, about what happened."