Chapter Eighteen

The inn room was bathed in the soft glow of morning light, streaming through the fluttering cream curtains, which cast gentle tendrils across the plush furnishings.

Cin drew in a deep breath, steeling herself for the conversation she'd spent half the night scripting. While Tamlin had offered to speak with the children, this news required a softer touch, and Tamlin's demeanor was about as gentle as a dry cactus.

She reached out to gently squeeze Aeson's hand, feeling the small tremor coursing through his fingers. Between them sat Aetlani, her wide eyes brimming with curiosity and innocence. Poppy hovered behind them, her eyes lined with tears she struggled, but failed, to contain.

Tamlin had told Poppy the truth, to prepare her should the children react badly.

"I have something I need to tell you," Cin began, her voice soft yet steady. "Your mom and dad...they fought against bad men, and now they're...gone."

Aetlani's gaze flickered with confusion, her brow furrowing in disbelief. "But...but they'll come back, won't they?"

Cin's heart ached at the innocence in her question and the cruel reality of their situation. She knew better than to delay the truth, risking miscommunication. And yet, it had happened anyway.

"I'm so sorry, rosebud," she murmured, her voice choked with emotion. "They won't be coming back."

Tears welled in Aeson's eyes, his hand going limp in hers. "They're gone," he whispered, his voice barely audible.

Cin nodded, while Tamlin slowly sat down behind Aeson. Aeson barely registered his presence; all the little boy could hear was that the hope he'd been clinging to had been for nothing.

"Yes, sweetheart," Cin replied gently. "But you're not alone, alright? Tamlin and I are here for you, and we'll take care of you."

Aeson's gaze flickered with uncertainty as his young mind began to comprehend the enormity of their loss. "What will happen to us?"

"You'll come and live with us," Tamlin interjected gently. "If that's okay with you. Nothing has to change, except that after we finish up in Surfinia, we'll return to the Mansion, and you'll have your own rooms, much closer to ours."

Cin felt a surge of frustration welling within her as Tamlin jumped ahead, once again forgetting to tread lightly in delicate matters. She shot him a pointed look, silently urging him to let her lead the conversation. He nodded in understanding, biting his lip to keep from interrupting again.

Squeezing Aeson's hand gently, Cin took a deep breath, her mind racing as she tried to find the right words to convey their intentions.

"If you're alright with it," she began, her voice soft yet resolute, "Tamlin and I would like to continue caring for you as we have. But if you'd prefer to be reunited with your friends at the orphanage, we would have no problem with that."

Aeson's brow furrowed in thought as he considered Cin's words, his mind swirling with conflicting emotions. "Can Zay and the others stay in the mansion too?"

"They're in the village," Tamlin replied eagerly, unable to contain his excitement at the prospect of sharing good news. "The orphanage was completed a week ago. We'll take you to see them later, if you'd like."

A sense of relief washed over Cin as she watched Aeson's eyes light up at the mention of the orphanage. She knew he cared deeply for his friends, and she was grateful for the opportunity to reunite them in a safe and nurturing environment.

At the same time, Cin couldn't help but marvel at Aeson's selflessness and compassion. Despite enduring hardships, he remained steadfast in his concern for others, his kind-hearted nature shining through even in the darkest of times.