Chapter Two

The green parlour's air was a symphony of aromas—freshly baked bread, cakes, and cherry mead—all embraced Cin as she entered.

The room unfolded in opulence, high ceilings meeting ornate moldings, the walls dressed in a warm, creamy hue that swelled its grandeur. At the long, intricately carved wooden table, twelve fae figures paused their conversations, their attention pivoting to Cin as she moved past them, her destination the seat reigning at the table's head.

Nienna, standing nearby, drew closer, querying Cin's desire for a glass of mead as she settled into Tamlin's vacated chair. Cin's request, however, was for chrysanthemum tea. And then, an additional ask, spoken with a quiet authority, "A quill and ink set, if you can find any."

Nienna's gentle smile accompanied her exit, leaving Quiet Jon to stand sentinel beside the tall, narrow windows. As the six lords and ladies, their retinues of quiet consorts beside them, resettled, Cin began the meeting. This gathering, usually held every three months, had been hastened on this occasion.

Summoned earlier than its usual interval—by two weeks—due to the swift circulation of her betrothal news. It had been Tamlin's intent to address them personally, but Bron had sent a message, requesting his presence in Monarda that very morning. A consensus between Cin and Tamlin affirmed transparency with the Village Heads. Mutual respect and trust, cornerstones of this new Spring era, hinged on open communication.

With Cin's prior participation and even leadership in these sessions, Tamlin was more than happy to leave this gathering to her.

Cin yearned for more than a token role as a trophy wife. She believed she had earned the right to be seen as more, a sentiment Tamlin had heeded.

"Thank you for your swift response to the summons. I hope you are all in good health," Cin began, her voice steady and unwavering. The skill of masking her anxiety had been mastered early in her courtship with Tamlin. "Before we delve into this gathering, I have an announcement that spurred its hastening. I wish to address the rumors directly: the High Lord and I are now officially betrothed.

"In a matter of days, the court-wide procession we've been planning will provide Tamlin the platform to corroborate these rumors before our court. At present, our knowledge extends only to the fact that the wedding will align with Calanmai, whether before or after remains undecided."

The procession's design aimed to foster a space where Spring Fae could voice concerns to Tamlin free from worry about retribution. An arena for inquiry, clarification, or release of pent-up frustrations. The lack of transparency had, in part, contributed to Spring's decline.

Both Cin and Tamlin recognized the potential for uproar that the procession could cause. But, it was a necessary stride toward healing the court, torn apart by incidents they needed to address.

As the confirmation settled in the parlour, silence took hold. Doubt began to grip Cin, pondering if she had overstepped. Unlike her, they were appointed for their roles. She, on the other hand, had simply captured the heart of Spring's High Lord. In this contemplative silence, Cin questioned whether this was a position she was even allowed to have.

Lady Indis of Clematis broke the tension by clasping her hands to her chest tightly before unfurling them like a blooming flower and whispering, "Blessed be this bud."

It was The Iris Knott, a gesture as archaic as time itself. Older than any present, it harked back to the founding of Spring, embodying all the Court represented. It had been lost until Iridessa Primavera had brought it back to the court at her crowning as Lady of Spring.

With the whispered benediction, "Blessed be this bud," Lady Indis had bound well-wishing and blessings for all.

The Iris Knott, a name woven for this gesture, encapsulated its essence—the flourishing of a flower and the unity it embodied. A mirror to Spring's core, where nature's bloom denoted renewal, metamorphosis, life's ceaseless cycle. It was a symbol of unity, harmony, and a shared mission—to nurture growth.