Chapter Fifteen

"Where did he say to meet him?" Tamlin asked, his voice barely carrying over the lively melody played by a group of musicians, their music filling the air.

"At the fountain," Cin replied. "Bron said it would be worth it."

Gingerly grasping Aetlani's sticky hand, Cin meandered through the bustling streets of Monardo. The little girl, having impulsively devoured a juicy peach with both hands after leaving the Inn, now accompanied Cin on their evening stroll. The street itself seemed to come alive under the enchanting glow of lanterns, casting a golden hue that danced off the myriad charming shops and stalls, which had chosen to unveil their magic after sunset.

"It had better be," Tamlin murmured almost inaudibly, his gaze fixed on Aeson, who was visibly enthralled by the vibrant revelry. Monardo's nightlife, not accustomed to such liveliness, only witnessed such bustling activity once every few months. It was usually around the time that Bron granted the training sentries a few days off. While most returned to their families and friends, some chose to linger in Monardo, savoring the village's offerings.

And the village, in turn, embraced them with open arms.

Much to Tamlin's dismay, of course, because he believed it left Spring vulnerable. But, with the implementation of new defenses and an impenetrable border patrol, not to mention Cin's secret ability, it was agreed that Spring could endure occasional weekends without its standing army.

"There he is," Cin declared, spotting her brother's burly silhouette the moment they set foot in the square. Bron had long since shed his alcohol weight, and as for Hart—well, at least he retained his looks.

The group strode across the square, the younger two growing increasingly quieter as they approached Bron and Hart. Cin had anticipated this reaction. Aeson and Aetlani only knew Bron through the tales she had told them, but witnessing him in person was an entirely different experience.

At that moment, Cin tried to imagine how Bron and Hart might appear to a stranger. Having known them all her life, they were little more than overgrown man-children in her eyes. Yet, to an outsider, she imagined they would be two surly-faced men boasting broad shoulders that amplified their imposing presence. Their synchronized steps only added to the air of intimidation.

They were Spring's new Generals, and by all appearances, they looked the part.

Cin lifted Aetlani onto her hip, leaning in to whisper, "I know he looks a bit angry, but that's just his face."

"Why?" Aetlani asked, squinting at the approaching men.

"Because he doesn't get to see Cin as often as we do," Tamlin quipped, winking at the little girl. Aeson, despite his earlier enthusiasm about meeting Cin's brother, now stood half-hid behind Tamlin's leg.

In the five days they'd spent in Monardo, Aeson had formed a sort of bond with Tamlin. He had transitioned from never straying far from Aetlani's side to wholly leaving his sister to Cin's care while he animatedly shared his days' adventures with Tamlin. Evenings became a routine of Aeson eagerly recounting their day—Cin's efforts in growing vegetables, Poppy's soothing touch on a scraped knee, etc. It had annoyed Tamlin at first, wanting to spend his evenings with Ander to review the work that needed to be completed, but as the boy had warmed to Tamlin, he had warmed to the boy.

"You're looking less gaunt than usual," Bron chuckled, leaning down to plant a wet, noisy kiss on Cin's cheek—embarrassing, yet everything she had come to love and expect from her brother.

"I'll remember that comment next time you ask me for a favor." Cin swatted his arm, then rubbed her cheek against her shoulder in an attempt to wipe away the wet kiss.