Chapter Fourty-Four

The Baudelaires went back to Rowan and the Quagmires and told them what had just happened. All three of them were shocked and angry about what Nero had said to their friends.

"But that's not fair!" exclaimed Rowan at once.

"You can't ace tests and run laps every night!" added Duncan.

"I think the pop quiz today was the only time I've ever failed a quiz." said Klaus miserably.

"But you were tired, Klaus." said Isadora gently.

Klaus nodded again, less miserable.

"What if..." said Duncan, his curious eyes lighting up.

"What if what?" asked Isadora, turning to her brother.

"I'll explain in the shack." said Duncan.

They all went to the orphans' shack, sitting on hay bales - Violet and Rowan sharing, Sunny and Klaus, and Duncan and Isadora.

"So what is your plan?" asked Isadora.

"Well," said Duncan. "What if we run for the Baudelaires tonight?"

"How would that work?" asked Rowan.

Duncan cleared his throat and began explaining. "Isadora could dress up as Violet. Rowan or I could be Klaus."

Rowan and Isadora's eyes lit up as they realised the plan.

"Yes!" exclaimed Rowan excitedly. "You and Isadora can be Klaus and Violet - your siblings so it makes sense - and I can quiz the Baudelaires!"

Isadora smiled. "Yes, Violet, you can make a ribbon, and Sunny, you can make fake glasses!" she coughed. "Don't worry Baudelaires, don't feel disgrace, the Quagmire triplets are on the case."

"No, you're kind friends, all of you, but we can't let you get involved." argued Violet.

"Count Olaf is too dangerous. He's murdered at least three people." Klaus insisted.

Duncan frowned. "But we want to get involved, Baudelaires. We want to help you."

Violet, Klaus, and Sunny glanced at each other. "Alright."

They sat in the library. Sunny was biting some metal into the shape of glasses for Duncan, and Violet had just cut her ribbon for Isadora. Rowan was examining Violet and Klaus' notes and Klaus was talking nervously to Duncan.

"I think we're ready." said Isadora, tying Violet's purple ribbon.

"We are." said Duncan, putting his glasses on.

Sunny passed Rowan her to-do-list. Rowan was going to ask Sunny questions about what she had to do, as well as give her some small tasks. Violet was admiring Isadora and Klaus was admiring Duncan.

"You look perfect." said Violet. "I mean, the ribbon isn't done as I have it, but I'm sure Count Olaf won't notice."

"Yes." Klaus agreed. "Rowan, have you got the bag of flour ready?"

"Yep." said Rowan. He held up a bag lol flour, which he had painted peach and drawn a frowning face on. He had also taped Sunny's ribbon to the top of the bag.

"Quagmires." said Violet nervously. "If anything goes wrong - goodbye."

Isadora gave them a smile that she was trying to make reassuring. "I don't think anything will go wrong. We'll see you Baudelaires before long."

They said goodbye sadly. Violet, Klaus, Sunny, and Rowan headed to the shack, whilst Isadora and Duncan went to the field, Duncan pulling the rope that was attached to 'Sunny'.