Chapter Forty-Two

After dinner that day, Rowan, the Baudelaires, and the Quagmires decided to go to their shack to have a little conversation before Nero's violin recital.

"Oh, yes, we need to go." said Violet reluctantly, picking Sunny up.

Klaus made a sound of disgust. "Ugh, yes, I almost forgot."

"No!" exclaimed Rowan, jumping to his feet. "What if he does something to you!"

"He wouldn't." said Violet shakily. "Hopefully."

"You promise you'll be safe?" asked Rowan, placing a hand on Violet's shoulder.

"We can't promise anything." said Klaus sadly. "But we'll hope."

"We'll hope too." said Rowan.

"We'll hope all through Nero's boring violin recitals." decided Duncan.

"We'll hope like mad." added Rowan.

Isadora walked up to Klaus and took his hands in her own. "Good luck, Baudelaires." 

She let go of his hands and walked back to the boys.

"Good luck." all three of them said in unison.

"Thank you." Violet and Klaus breathed.

"Catja." said Sunny. 

They walked together to the field, silent. Whilst they were in an unfortunate situation, they were pleased to have each other. They were pleased to have each other, and Rowan, and Isadora, and Duncan.

"You're late!" yelled Count Olaf.

"We're very sorry, Coach Genghis." said Violet carefully.

Coach Genghis frowned. "Well, take this luminous paint, and paint a circle on the field. Come on, the biggest circle you can do."

They did just that. And then they were asked to run around the circle.

So they did. They ran, and ran, and ran, and ran. They asked for a break, but they weren't allowed one. They saw the students pour out of the hall, groaning and yawning, they saw the sky change from navy to black. They looked up once and saw the sun rising. They had been running for twelve hours, and never had a break.

Violet stopped running. "Cou- Coach Genghis." she said desperately. "I can't run anymore."

"Neither can I." said Klaus, although Violet really had it worse, holding Sunny.

Count Olaf checked his watch. "Perfect timing." he said. "It's half six. Aren't you lucky? You get half an hour of sleep."

A/N: Really short chapter this time. The next one should be longer.