Chapter Sixteen

The children stopped screaming, still with shaky breaths. They could hear violent coughing from the inside of the car.

"Mr. Poe." murmured Violet. "He always seems to have a cough, and I believe that he has that car."

"Excuse me!" yelled the man getting out of the car. It was Mr. Poe. "You have just crashed into my car! Please obey the speed limit!"

"I am so sorry sir." said Count Olaf, getting out of his car.

"Who are you, coming out of Dr. Montgomery Montgomery's driveway?" asked Mr. Poe.

The four black-haired children got out of the car.

"Mr. Poe, this man is-" began Violet.

"Dr. Montgomery's new assistant." interrupted Count Olaf, smiling.

"Ah." Mr. Poe extended his hand. "Poe, Mulctuary Money Management."

Count Olaf extended his hand, hesitated, and then held Mr. Poe's hand for a brief second. "Stephano."

"Mr. Poe-" began Violet.

"Violet, the adults are speaking." Mr. Poe scolded. "Mr. Stephano, may I-"

"Mr. Poe, listen to us!" snapped Klaus. Mr. Poe turned to look at him in shock, and Klaus took his chance. "Dr. Montgomery is dead and this man right here is Count Olaf!"

"Don't be silly, Klaus, this man is not Count Olaf. Count Olaf has a short grey beard, but Stephano has a long white one. Count Olaf has one long eyebrow, Stephano has, well, none. What did you say about Dr. Montgomery?"

"Monty is dead," said Rowan sadly.

"Dead?" exclaimed the useless banker. "How?"

"Murder," answered Violet, at the exact same time Count Olaf said, "Snake bite."

Mr. Poe, of course, went with Count Olaf's idea. "Snake bite? Oh dear, what a shame. He did seem like a suitable guardian."

"He was more than suitable." Klaus managed, his voice shaky and upset.

"He was wonderful." finished Rowan.

"Please, Mr. Poe, this man is Count Olaf." cried Violet.

Mr. Poe gave a half-chuckle half-sigh. "I'm sorry, sir, but would you mind living up your trouser leg to settle the childrens' minds? Count Olaf has an eye tattoo on his ankle."

"My pleasure, Doe." said Count Olaf, grinning wickedly.

He lifted up his right trouser leg to reveal a dirty ankle - dirty, but without an eye.

"Left, please." said Mr. Poe.

"Oh." said Count Olaf. "Right, yes, o-of course, Yoe."

He lifted up his left trouser leg, revealing his other ankle. No tattoo.

"No tattoo." said Count Olaf, satisfied.

"No tattoo." said Violet, upset.

"No tattoo." uttered Sunny, anxious.

"No tattoo." Mr. Poe smiled.

"Now. the death of Dr. Montgomery." said Mr. Poe, in a casual voice as if he were discussing a chore he had just remembered he needed to do, instead of a dreadful murder he had just remembered to think about.

"Ah, the murder!" exclaimed Count Olaf.

"Murder?" asked Mr. Poe.

"Murder committed by the snake!" said Count Olaf, saving himself.

"Yes." Mr. Poe nodded. "Does Dr. Montgomery have a phone in his house?"

"Obviously." murmured Rowan, frustrated.

"Yes, I'll phone a doctor." Count Olaf said. He turned around and walked back to the house.

"Baudelaires, Rowan, I-" Mr. Poe started.

"We need to see what he's doing!" exclaimed Klaus, and ran off towards the house.

The three eldest children took off, Klaus first, followed by Rowan, followed by Violet, who was holding Sunny.

The children did get to the door, but only in time to hear Count Olaf say, "Yes, thank you."

"We will find out just what you're trying to do, Count Olaf." Violet said fiercely once the man had hung up.

"Nothing will ever stop me and the Baudelaires from trying to get people to believe us." Rowan said.

Count Olaf smirked, silently pulled out his knife and twisted it in front of their faces. Then, he put the knife away, replaced his smirk with a forced smile, and walked out of the door.