• 55

『 LOYALTY 』{ irl }

『 LOYALTY 』
{ irl }

"that pumpkin is too big, dumbass."

"it doesn't matter!"

"whatever! but you're gonna look stupid when your pumpkin is 50x bigger than every else's!"

"fine! i'll put it back!" a pumpkin comes flying at mae head and she nearly gets knocked out. she ducks and it just barely passes her before shattering against the ground behind her.

"better? are you happy now!?"

"yes! very happy!"

matt and nick have been arguing over pumpkin sizes for the entire time they've been here. and it's frankly driving everyone else crazy. nick always picks out the larger ones and matt chooses the smaller ones. but that's not the issue.

the issue is that matt keeps trying to make nick pick out a smaller pumpkin. but nick likes his big one. thus the fighting begins.

"can you guys just shut the hell up?" chris shouts at the two of them. but they couldn't hear chris' voice over their loud bickering back and forth.

"lets just go somewhere else." mae suggests, grabbing chris' arm and gently tugging him across the pumpkin patch to another area — where they can't heat matt and nick's screaming.

"you think it's fine to leave kent, cora, and lorelai alone with those two?"

"the question isnt that. it's if it would be fine to leave your brothers with them." mae says over her shoulder and she kneels to the ground and picks up a pumpkin.

she turns the pumpkin around and notices a large hole in the back of it. she groans, placing it back where she found it and looks for another one.

she grabs another. but then it slips out of her hands and it falls to the ground, creating a large dent in the side.

"shit." she curses, looking at the poor pumpkin. "if i hadn't dropped it, that would've been the perfect one for carving."

chris laughs, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her back against him. he rests his chin on her shoulder and she looks up at him, their noses brushing each other the slightest bit.

"it's okay. calm down," he mutters in her ear before pressing a kiss to her lips.

"oh my god." lai says with a sigh as matt and nick continue to argue back and forth. "will they ever stop?"

"nope," cora answers.

kent sits down in the dirt, struggling to find a good pumpkin. he lifts them up but they're all either rotted or dented. he groans in irritation, getting extremely tired of picking up pumpkin after pumpkin.

"i'm so sick of this," kent admits, gently placing a pumpkin back on the ground despite having the urge to chuck it at a nearby tree.

"sick of the pumpkins or sick of their arguing?" lai asks him, gesturing around them.

"both." kent says, dusting off his pants as he stand back up from the ground. suddenly, an idea pops into his head.

he walks over to the two arguing siblings and grabs nicks hand. immediately, he shuts up and looks over at kent. matt glances at the two, confused.

"can you help me pick out a good pumpkin?" kent asks him and nick's eyes widen.

"you want my help?" he asks, pointing to himself. "matt said my pumpkins are too big, though."

"i like them just fine." kent shrugs, making nick's eyes light up.

he never knew how much it would mean to him just to have someone compliment his decision. he's so used to his brothers' arguing that he's nearly forgotten how good it feels for someone to unapologetically agree with all of his choices.

he loves the relationship with his brothers, of course. he loves them more than anyone else. but sometimes it's just refreshing to be with kent like this.

"yeah," nick agrees with a small grin. "yeah, i'll help you."

"let's go over here," kent suggests, pointing to the far corner of the patch where nobody else is. "if nobody is over there, we can be alone."

the two walk over to the corner, stepping over bushes and plants and bad pumpkins.

when they get to the edge of the dirt, they start to look around. and kent still can't seem to find any good ones that haven't been destroyed or turned into mush.

"how about this one?" nick asks, casually holding up the most beautiful pumpkin kent had ever seen. "y'know what? maybe it's not good. yeah, i'll keep looking."

as nick moves to set the pumpkin back on the ground, kent grabs his shoulder softly. nick looks over his shoulder and kent smiles at him.

"you don't need to doubt everything you do." kent reassured him. nick's eyes widen. "you're great just the way you are."

nick's eyes widen.

in the heat of the moment, will nothing but appreciation and love in his mind, nick kisses him.

ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧.˚ₓ
a/n : GUYS. I KNOW THAT TECHNICALLY SINCE KENT AND MAE ARE RELATED AND SO ARE CHRIS AND NICK, THIS WOULDN'T WORK IF EITHER OF THEM GOT MARRIED. BUT WERE IGNORING THAT BECAUSE THEYRE CUTE (and it was like 3 in the morning when i planned this all out) 🙄