• 38

『 LOYALTY 』{ irl }

『 LOYALTY 』
{ irl }

after a few minutes alone, there's a knock on the bathroom door. the noise startles mae and she quickly opens it for the person since she's not even using the bathroom and they might be holding in their piss.

"maeve? can i talk to you?" alice says, standing in the doorway.

"no." mae glares at her and begins to close the door. alice sticks her foot between the door and the frame, not allowing it to close.

"please,"

"i just said no." mae snaps, pulling the door against her foot harder. she knows it has to hurt, knowing how hard she's pulling it. and yet, alice still wont back off. "leave me the fuck alone you bitch."

"it's about chris."

for some reason, mae's hold on the door loosens at the sound of his name.

she mentally wants to hit herself for showing alice that she has a weakness to use against her. mae opens the door, letting alice walk into the bathroom with her. "talk fast or i'm leaving."

"thank you," alice says with a small smile.

"for what?"

"forgiving me."

mae nearly laughs at this. "forgiving you!? i don't forgive you. i have no clue where you got that idea from, but you must be delusional."

"why else would you let me in here?" alice asks, "you had to have forgiven me to at least a little bit if you're willing to talk to me again."

"i don't want to talk to you. i want to listen to you apologize to me so i know you regret what you did." mae tells her with a cruel smile. "you have two minutes to explain yourself and say whatever it is you're begging to say."

"you're just like cora." alice scoffs.

"don't you dare talk shit about her." mae says. "now you only have one minute."

"fine!" alice shouts. "are you and chris actually dating? i saw him post a picture with another girl on instagram and i got curious. so- i've been wanting to ask you this for a while now, but since you blocked me, i haven't been able to and i've had to text some of your friends."

"you texted my friends?" mae asks her, ignoring the question completely. "who?"

"just cora, and nick." alice says carelessly. "oh, and chris."

mae clenches her jaw in anger. mae isn't someone who naturally tends to get angry very often. but when she does, it's built up rage that she's refused to let out. rage that she kept burried in the back of her mind to prevent herself from releasing on anyone.

on top of that, mae is a very loyal friend and nobody is allowed to hurt her friends in any way whatsoever.

"don't drag my friends into your bullshit, alison!"

this is the first time anyone has said alice's full name in years. honestly, she had forgotten that alice wasn't her actual name -- it's just an abbreviation for alison.

"whether or not i'm in a relationship is none of your business anymore. we're not friends like we used to be." mae snaps. "the moment you hooked up with my boyfriend was the moment you ended any positive relationship we had. i trusted you. and you used me." mae opens the door and begins to walk out before saying one last thing over her shoulder, "don't ever try to wedge your way into my life again. you don't deserve my attention."

"YOU SAID THAT!?" kent shouts, violently shaking mae's shoulders with excitement. "god, mae. i didn't know you had that in you."

"neither did i."

the entire family is now gathered around the table to cut the cake. but mae can't seem to focus on anything except for what she had told alice.

mae has never gone off on anyone like that before. she's always been the quieter type -- the one who just goes with whatever. she never yells or argues. so why did she get so defensive as soon as alice mentioned that she texted her friends?

well, not just any friends. mae frankly didn't care that she texted cora or nick. mae started to get angry when alice said that she contacted chris.

he's not hers to control. he's not an object for her to protect. she's normally not so posessive. so why the fuck has mae been acting so strangely lately when it comes to him?

"hey, you got a message." kent tells mae, pointing to her phone that's now lit up with the light of a new notification.

grabbing her phone, mae notices that the text is from chris.

chris 🤭 : are you busy right now? i need to talk to you

ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧.˚ₓ
a/n: not mae taking almost FORTY chapters to realize that she's in love with him eyeroll 🙄