• 31

『 LOYALTY 』{ irl }

『 LOYALTY 』
{ irl }

"so?" mae urges as she sits down on the bed, crossing her legs over one another. chris feels a bit awkward so he stays standing. "answer me question."

"what question?"

"you just said that coraline is a bitch," mae reminds him. "but if she's a bitch, why'd you stay at her house?"

chris doesn't know why he agreed to answer her questions when he knows damn well that he can't answer most of them. because they have to do with the fact that he likes her.

and he definitely can't let her know about that if he wants her to forgive him. because then mae will think he's trying to be her friend for all the wrong reasons.

"even if she's a bitch, she was still my friend." chris says — which technically isn't a lie. "and she was asking to hang out and i finally gave in and agreed."

mae cocks a brow at him, "okay? you can hang out with her and not have to go to her house." she pauses before she sighs, running a hand through her hair in frustration. "i don't give a shit about who you're friends with or how you have out with, chris. it's your life and you can do as you please. but the moment you start to ignore me and keep secrets? that's when there's an issue."

chris is really starting to feel bad now. he forgot how badly his actions could effect her. of course, he never wanted to make her upset or make her think he's trying to distance himself from her. but that's exactly what he did.

without saying anything, chris ignored all of her messages and calls. then, he excluded her from a conversation in the group chat.

he understands why she feels like shit, now.

"i'm sorry." chris finally says. "i never wanted you to feel upset. i've just had a lot on my mind lately and i needed a distraction — and coraline was willing to offer that."

"if you've been stressed, why couldn't you just tell me that? i would have understood." mae says. "you didn't have to shut me out."

"i'm sorry." chris repeats.

he wants to apologize over and over and over and over again. he wants her to know just how badly he wants to be forgiven.

"you already said that." mae snaps. "your words are useless when you've done nothing to prove that you mean them."

"how can i prove to you that i do mean it?" chris asks, genuinely.

"i don't know." she admits, crossing her arms over her chest and leaning back against the headboard. "that's for you to figure out. and-"

"chris? when did you get back?" matt calls out from the doorway.

when he realizes he interrupted their conversation, he immediately apologizes and begins to back out of the room.

"it's okay, matt." mae says before shooting chris a glare. "we're done. chris was just about to leave."

chris opens his mouth to say something but decides against it, knowing it'd be best to just leave mae alone and not continue to bother her.

instead of doing what his heart wants — which is to admit his feelings to mae — he just walks out of the room, following behind matt.

the moment chris and matt are alone in matt's room, chris starts freaking out.

"she fucking hates me!" chris nearly shouts. "she thinks i ignored her while i was at coraline's house! and now she thinks that i'm hiding a big secret from her!"

"well, you did ignore her." matt points out. "and you kinda are hiding a big secret from her."

chris gives him the harshest glare he can muster before saying, "you're supposed to comfort me, bernard. but you're just pissing me off."

"i'm just saying that maybe you need to apologize to her."

"i did!" chris yells. when he notices how loud his voice got, he quiets down before continuing. "she said that i need to show her that i mean what i'm saying."

matt doesn't hesitate. "then tell her."

"tell her what?"

"the truth." he shrugs.

he has got to be joking, right? there's no way he expects me to tell my best friend that i have a crush
on her — that might actually be fucking love! that would ruin our friendship and that's the absolute last thing i need right now. chris thinks to himself, rambling on and on.

"no." chris says with a humorless chuckle, brushing off the topic. "anyway, where's nick?"

"don't try to ignore this, chris." matt says, collapsing down onto the bed as chris continues to pace back and forth between matt and the door.

"i don't know what you're talking about. i'm not ignoring shit."

"wow! now you're calling mae shit?" matt asks, pretending to be offended.

"what? i didn't— ugh!!" chris runs a hand through his hair and face plants down onto the bed beside matt.

matt automatically remembers when mae did the same exact thing a few days ago. at the time, she had been complaining about chris whereas chris is now complaining about mae.

the parallels between the two is astounding.

"just talk to her." matt states. he's not laughing, joking, or anything else humorous. he's completely serious about this. "you two don't need to date or be together romantically, but don't you dare let coraline ruin the relationship you have with mae. even just as friends, the two of you adore one another. and you better now lose that."

chris nods. he has to fix this.

ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧.˚ₓ
a/n:
my posting schedule has been rlly fucked lately and i'm sorry about that 🫤
i had a family issue to handle and that threw me off a bit, but everything should be better now and i think the schedule should be back to normal now
thanks for understanding, i love yall