• 05

『 LOYALTY 』{ irl , messages}

『 LOYALTY 』
{ irl , messages}

"how fast do you think jeff can run with such tiny legs?" chris chuckles as he and mae watch the small dog wander back and forth as far as his leash will let him. 

they're sitting at an outdoor table because the restaurant wouldn't let them enter with an animal.

mae's holding the loop of jeff's leash as he walks aimlessly around her chair.

"surprisingly very fast." mae explains. "whenever i take him to the dog park, he chases all of the big dogs around."

"really?"

just as she opens her mouth to speak again, mae's phone starts to ding repeatedly. she pulls it out of her back pocket and notices she's getting tons of messages from her boyfriend, rian.

rian : rian <33
mae : maeve

rian <33
maeve
what the hell
answer me god damn it
don't ignore me
well fuck you then

maeve
what?
sorry i was busy

rian <33
busy with what?
chris?

maeve
uh yeah actually
we're hanging out

rian <33
oh i know.

maeve
okay then???
why are you acting like this

rian <33
acting like what

maeve
jealous

rian <33
i'm not jealous
i just think it's fucking inconsiderate of you to not tell me you were going to hang out with another guy

maeve
are you kidding?
you know we're just friends

rian <33
really?
do i know that maeve?

maeve
you should
there's nothing to be jealous of

rian <33
well you're making it really hard to trust you

maeve
what the fuck i didn't do anything wrong.
we're hanging out so we aren't awkward around each other for a video we're taking later

rian <33
oh? so now you're arguing with me?

maeve
im not arguing, rian. i'm explaining myself because you're acting like a dick.

rian <33
whatever. go have fun with chris.

maeve
yk what? i will.
bc he's not treating me like shit the way you are.

mae groans, tossing her phone into the table. she throws her head back, leaning it against the back of the chair.

"are you alright?" chris asks, genuinely worried.

everything was fine a few minutes ago. they were talking and joking around with each other. overall, they both seemed really happy.

"yeah." she lies. "i'm fine. it's just that rian is acting really weird today. i'm sure he'll get over it, though. he does this all the time."

chris doesn't know rian very well but from what he's heard from nick, he's extremely toxic. which makes chris feel bad for mae. because she seems super nice and funny. she doesn't deserve to be treated like that.

suddenly, he hears mae gasp.

when he looks over at where she was sitting, she's gone. she's now running down the sidewalk, chasing jeff who seems to have escaped his leash.

chris quickly hops up from his chair and runs down the sidewalk with mae, trying to help her catch the dog.

mae was right. despite jeff's tiny legs, he runs really fast.

jeff is small enough that he weaves between people's feet on the sidewalk as he sprints straight down the concrete.

suddenly, jeff stops running. he stands completely still at the edge of the sidewalk, staring at the busy road. the moving cars seem to petrify him with fear.

chris runs up behind him and scoops the dog into his arms. mae clasps the leash to his collar and chris hands her dog back to her.

"sorry about that." she says. "i don't know what his issue is. he's never done anything like this before. i must have put his leash on wrong."

chris just stares at her, trying to hold in his laughter.

when mae stares back at him, waiting for a reply, he
bursts out laughing.

"what?" she asks, not understanding what's funny. did she say something weird? what did she say?

"the way jeff was running!" chris exclaims between laughs. "he was waddling, but he was going so fucking fast!"

mae sees jeff run all the time so it's not funny to her. but chris's laugh must be contagious because she starts laughing with him even though there's nothing she finds funny.

ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧.˚ₓ

a/n:
how do we feel about rian now?