WAIT! He's real?! Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Tuesday morning and all was fine. I still had a delicious memory of that cake left over from my dreams. I licked my lips and came out of my grogginess. I was more alert then and a silent tear slid down my cheek as I remembered there was no more in the refrigerator.

I slid into my pants, grumbling about the loss of my cake and wondering how soon I could get Georgia to make one for me.

Whose birthday is next? Is there a holiday coming up? Could we just have another barbeque?

My planning was interrupted as Jordi screamed at me, informing me that Jace was here.

“Avery! I’m going to get shotgun again!” she taunted. She knew she had me with that one. Now that things weren’t awkward between us anymore, I HAD to sit next to my best friend.

I scrambled down the stairs and out the garage door because we never use our front door. Ever. It was just not normal for us. Jordi had her hand on the handle. She gripped it and wrenched it open with her hand that wasn’t supporting books. She must not have heard me coming because she definitely would have moved faster. Without any time to react, I slapped the books from her left arm on to the ground. Leaving her no choice, but to pick up the books and forfeit the front seat.

“No! My books! I will avenge thee!” she yelled, as if this were a Shakespearian tradgedy. I jumped in the car and locked the door quickly. She straightened herself and shook her fist at me with a frown. She looked like the classic old man yelling at kids to stay off his lawn.

Jace, clearly on the same page said, “Whoa, Jordi. Have you always been that old?”

“What?” she asked, clearly puzzled.

I chuckled in understanding and we snuck a low-five without capturing her attention.

“It smells weird in here.” Jordi announced, still oblivious.

“YOU smell weird in here.” Jace and I said simultaneously. We laughed at our synchronicity as Jordi rolled her eyes and fumed.

“You guys! Not with this again! It’s so dumb!” Jordi complained. She totally just set herself up for this one.

“YOU’RE so dumb!” Jace and I broke at this point, our belly laughs erupting from our bodies.

“Aww man! I’m done. Not saying anything else.” Jordi zipped her lips.

“That was swick.” Jace said.

“Real swick.” I agreed. “Do you remember when we came up with that word? ‘Cause I don’t…”

“Ya know, me either.” Jace searched his memories.

“I remember.” Jordi stated, having obviously forgotten she had placed a zipper on her lips.