WAIT! He's real?! Chapter 16

• Dedicated to Karly Danielle Nevez

Chapter 16

The rest of Jace’s family soon arrived. Who am I kidding? The rest of MY family soon arrived. Jace’s mom, Georgia Michaels, came in carrying a huge tray that was covered in goodies. His mom was an excellent baker. Allen Michaels, his dad, walked in with a cake plate, upon which sat Georgia’s famous German chocolate cake. My mouth watered as I smelled the rich, glossy icing that topped it.

“Avery, it’s rude to stare,” Jace quipped, “even if it is just a cake.”

“Why….just a cake?! I don’t think so. It’s only the most glorious dessert I’ve ever beheld.” I exclaimed, still drooling.

My daydreaming was interrupted when I saw Jace’s little brother and sister run through the room. Lane had Vienna’s doll and threatened to destroy it, unless Vienna stopped trying to hug him forever.

I smiled and thought of how amazing it would be if the worst thing that could ever happen to you were that you had to be hugged. What a life.

My mom and Georgia talked while my dad and Allen fired up the grill. Jordi played dress-up with Vienna. Jace and I laughed as we watched Lane and my little brother, Chase, play with army men and pretend to blow each other up. We then talked about our trip and said how much fun we had together. It was like old times.

It was then that my older brother, Zander, walked in. He had been home for about a week. He just returned from his summer in New York where he had been lifeguarding on the beaches of a tiny island. He was tan and strong from working in the sun all day. My brother had never really shown signs of protectiveness over the years. So, I wasn’t sure how he would react to Garrett. The only boy I ever really hung around with was Jace.

Zander and Jace were best buds. I don’t really like that fact. Jace was a sweetheart most of the time, but when Zander was around, I didn’t know what to expect from him. Zander, being the big brother, always had some kind of prank up his sleeve for me. More often than not, Jace was usually a part of them. The usual stuff, like cling wrap on a doorframe, baby powder in the back of my hair dryer, and replacing my perfume with cheap, smelly cologne were just a few of their favorites. And believe me, no one wants to know what happened when they combined a tennis ball, stereo speakers, and a ceramic chicken…

My brother put away his things and came to join us in the family room. He hugged me and kissed my cheek. Then, he came over to Jace and they did one of those “slap-each-other’s-backs” man-hugs.

“So, Ave, what’s this I hear about---“ Zander was cut off by Stephanie.

“JORDI!!!” she screamed as she tore through the house searching for our sister. She found me instead and nearly choked me to death.

“It’s Avery, not Jordi.” I managed to squeak out.

“Oh…” she said, puzzled, “You’re not who I’m looking for.”

“Obviously.” I mumbled as I watched her greedy eyes take in Jace for the first time. Fifteen year old girls are so hormonal…“Jace, this is Stephanie Cross. Stephanie, Jace.” I quickly introduced, before I shoved her through the back door. “Jordi’s out there!”