WAIT! He's real?! Chapter 6

• Dedicated to The REAL Jace and Garrett

Chapter 6

The rest of the day sounded like this:

"Hey! There's that girl who's boyfriend called her crazy!"

"Haha! That girl is nuts! Ask her boyfriend!"

Even from my friends...

"What's up, crazy?"

"How ya doin', psycho?"

Gemma and Rae thought they were sooo funny. They laughed to themselves the entire day.

"Yeah, yuck it up, ladies..." I told them. Little did they know I had a nasty revenge planned.

Lucy, on the other hand, even though she laughed initially, sent Garrett a text message. She was seriously angry with him. It went like this:

Lucy: Garrett Cross! Who do you think you are?! You think you can just ask out my best friend, not even meet her friends and then make fun of her in front of everyone? You'd think that those flowers were an apology for that note!! It was idiotic of you to send that! You embarrassed her so badly! I can't believe you! You need to fix this! You messed up!!!

After reading this, I actually felt guilty for making fun of myself... That sounds weird. I guess it's what I deserve for choosing something so blindly.

I decided I would make it up to myself. I had just the plan.

I went to my best friend, the Internet, for help.

Wednesday morning, during third period. My next delivery came. The same flower man walked in and announced my name. I got up and took the beautiful arrangement from him. My teacher once again asked me to read the note aloud, despite Monday's fiasco.

As I cleared my throat, I could her Lucy mumble, "Ooh! If he thinks those are going to cut it, he's got another thing coming."

I read the note aloud. This time it said: "Avery, I apologize sincerely for embarrassing you the other day. I hope these gifts will make it up, somewhat."

"Gifts?" I said afterward.

"That's more like it." Lucy chirped.

As if being cued, many other delivery persons entered the classroom. All were asking for me. I received a Teddy bear, chocolates, more flowers, and even a singing telegram. After all of the commotion was over. My desk and the space around me was covered with gifts. Just then the flower man came back in with a single daisy. My teacher groaned.

"Forgot one." he said, apologizing, " Lucy? Lucy Monroe?"

Lucy perked up and looked shocked. She accepted the flower and read the little tag on it. It read:

Lucy, thanks for being there for Avery. It means a lot. Especially when I can't be there looking out for her.

-Garrett

I turned to her and innocently asked who it was from. She said, "Oh, just an old and very good friend."

I could tell she wouldn't be divulging any more. I smiled to myself and was happy that this gesture from "Garrett" helped her to accept him. I think this also put her suspicions way down.

After class, I put all of these new items in the back of my car. On the way back I became bombarded by several people of the male gender.

"Oh, hey, Avery, right?" one of the boys said.

"Yes..." I answered, hesitantly.

"So, I was wondering...If we could get to know each other better. You know, like on a date?" he inquired.

"No," I stated, "I have a boyfriend now, if you didn't notice, already."

"I did notice actually..." he smirked. " I like a challenge."

I walked away from him in disgust. Throughout the day, boys kept doing that same thing. Apparently all boys like a challenge. I was now unattainable and they wanted me. It was ridiculous. Boys are so stupid. What was I to them? Some kind of forbidden candy?! This is exactly why I was mad at Jace! As soon as he couldn't have me any longer, he decided to pipe up about his feelings.

Jace was obviously different to me than the others, but still. It felt like he was only in it for the chase. It honestly sickened me how many games boys play... And they say girls are complicated? Oh, please...

After school, Jace caught up to me. I'd been avoiding him, successfully, all day, until now. As he approached me, I took him in.

He was a true descendant of the heavens... His sculpted, bronze body. Those beautiful gray-green eyes. His perfect lips. I let my fingertips graze my lips in remembrance of the night we kissed. I was being swept away into memories. Then I remembered the situation I was in and wiped at my lips trying to forget the way his felt on mine. My wrath came in at full force.

"Avery," he said,"I've missed you...Are you okay?"

I guess he noticed the little angry eye twitch that had started when I regained my anger.

"Jace Allen Michaels!" I fumed, " We need to talk, now!"

"What what's wrong? If this is about the other night, I already apologized. Can't we move past this, A?" he said, trying to douse my anger.

"You! You think that, now that you can't have me, it's a good time to tell me how you feel? Do you? Jace, I don't even know if these are your real feelings or if you just like a challenge like all these other boneheads at this school. I'm sick of them! And now I'm sick of you!"

"Ave, I... Let's-" he tried, but I cut him off.

"No, Jace! It's not time for your second chance, yet..." I screamed through my tears. "I need to get away from here, myself, and you." I spit the last part out with as much venom and sting I could put into my words. He needs to see he hurt me. I got into my car and drove away.

*ping* My phone buzzed. It was a text from Lucy.

Lucy: Saw your little scene with Jace. Wanna tell me what the heck that was about???

Aww crap...

Avery: That's exactly what it was. Just a scene. I was practicing a new monologue with him. I needed him to help me.

Lucy: Really? Well, I guess your monologue is perfect because the look on his face said he believed it.

Avery: Oh good! That's awesome! I'll talk to you later, Luce. I'm driving. :)

Lucy: Okay...

I sighed as I put my phone down and took a second to catch my breath. This whole thing was so emotionally exhausting.

*Wednesday Evening*

I lounged on my couch trying to unwind. I flipped on the TV and saw that the news was on. Normally, I would have flipped the channel, but something about my school district was on. The anchor said that the teachers had decided to go on strike and that there will be no school until the problem had resolved. Two weeks into school and we were having problems already? Why the heck do I care?! No school! This is exactly what I needed. I also knew exactly where I wanted to go... Vegas.

**A/N: Hey guys! I am so excited that so many of you like this book! I am also so happy that so many of you have fanned me. This is terribly exciting for me. :) what do you guys think is gonna go down in Vegas???? I love this story and I am so glad you're all enjoying it!!!! So much love to give because I am feeling so much from you guys! -MailiAnne