WAIT! He's real?! Chapter 10

Chapter 10

We drove the rest of the way to our destination singing along to the CD he had in his car. It was a mix CD that his sister, Stephanie, had left in the player. It was a combination of my favorite things: Disney soundtracks, 90's boybands, and Justin Bieber. Gosh, I love that kid. (In a "pinch his cheeks" way, not in a "cougar" way, obviously.) At first we just played the first couple songs, until I caught Garrett humming along to 'Baby'. I took the lead and started belting out the words I knew so well. We both laughed after the chorus and he even joined me. I was crying so much from laughing I actually needed a tissue after hearing his attempt at rapping. I don't think you could even classify it as "rapping". He noticed the tissue and looked over at me in all seriousness after he parked.

"Was I really THAT bad?" he asked, finally noticing my tear-stained face.

"No, no you weren't that bad." I consoled, "You were worse." My giggling started back up again and it had me clutching my sides. His scowl shifted until he began laughing with me too.

"We are now even." he announced. "You have to wear that ring on every single date we go on, and I promise to never rap again."

"Hey!" I protested, "Who said I was going to go on another date with you?"

"You didn't need to say it." he said with a smirk, "It was all in your eyes." I rolled my eyes at him, but he just grabbed my hand and we started walking to the entrance. I couldn't be bothered to really be paying attention to where we were because his hand was shooting tingles up my arm, almost making me shiver.

"Are you cold?" he asked. Obviously, the shivers were more noticable than I thought. I shook my head no and smiled up at him shyly.

"Why are you so quiet all of a sudden?" he asked with a smirk.

"I don't know. I'm just taking it all in. I'm just happy to be here." I genuinely smiled. "I feel like I know you, already. Even though I sort of do." I added with a knowing wink.

He laughed and said, "Same here." and gave me that dreamy smile that showed off his perfect teeth.

As Garrett paid for our tickets, it finally registered where we were. We were at the Adventuredome...at Circus Circus. Aw crap, I said to myself. I guess you don't know me THAT well. I am deathly afraid of clowns. This could be a complete disaster...on the other hand, Garrett did say he liked damsels in distress. I don't think he meant hysterically screaming and crying damsels, though...

I kept up this internal battle with myself, until I felt my arm being pulled. I must have looked like I was in turmoil because Garrett looked concerned.

"Don't tell me you're afraid of coasters!" he said excitedly.

I peeked around the door to reveal tons of attractions including, kiddie rides, coasters, and many games.

"Quite the contrary, I'm a rollercoaster junkie!" I brightened up considerably, when I didn't see any clowns around. This could be alright, I told myself.

*Later*

We talked and screamed and laughed for a few hours while going on rides, playing games, sharing cotton candy, and holding hands. (That was my favorite part.) We stopped for a little while to sit down to lunch. I placed the cute, neon purple monkey on the chair next to me. Garrett had won it for me playing one of those silly carnival games. We had named it Jeff.

Garrett pulled out my chair for me and pushed it back in for me when I had sat down. He was such a gentleman. He had opened every single door for me, including the car door. He always said please and thank you to everybody. He even bought a child a new ice cream cone when hers had fallen on the ground. He was too good to be true. What kind of family raised such a perfect man? I didn't deserve him, but he kept trying to convince me otherwise.

"So, I'm glad that I'm moving to San Clemente, now." he said smiling.

"You weren't before?" I asked, now curious.

"Well, a new move is always exciting, but I only had the beach to look forward to. I didn't know anyone or have any friends. Now, I've met you, though. Now I have tons to look forward to." He said. "I would like to help you, ya know."

"Help me with what?" I asked, now confused.

"Well," he started. "Wait, let me see that ring." I took it off, wondering what the heck he was doing, and handed it to him. He got out of his chair and down on one knee.

"Avery, will you....be my fake, official girlfriend?" he said with the cutest puppy-dog eyes.

"Huh?" I laughed, "What exactly does that mean?" I smiled.

"Well," he explained, "You have a 'boyfriend' named Garrett Cross, right?" I nodded. "I could be your boyfriend, but unofficially, until we're ready to make it official."

"Oh, so you're my fake official boyfriend. Then later, after I truly know you well, you can be my real one! It's perfect." I giggled and let him put the ring back on my finger.

I stood up and gave him a tight squeeze, breathing in his scent. One of his hands rested on my middle back, and the other came up to my hair. He brought my head back and looked down into my eyes, searching for something. He looked like he couldn't find it. He brought his lips to my cheek and kissed me softly. I closed my eyes and enjoyed this feeling. Little sparks, but not quite a flame, ignited inside my being. We both let go too soon. We sat down and finished our lunch, but our hands never let go. We rode some more rides and then as the sun began to go down, he told me that the best part of the date was about to begin.

Afterward, he ushered me into a dark room, bustling with other people. I assumed a show was about to start. It was only a little while after, that I heard the sickly-sweet, eerie carnival music and stiffened. Garrett didn't seem to notice. Then, one after another clowns were coming in from all different sides of the room. Many were coming from the door which we sat closest to. I shut my eyes tight and tried to settle my ragged breathing.

"Are you okay?" a voice whispered. I assumed it was Garrett and opened my eyes.

I turned in the direction the voice came from and screamed. A clown was ten inches from my face.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!"

I clawed at Garrett's arm and cried and tried to pull him with me as I rushed to get out of the room. Garrett looked alarmed, but definitely confused too. We got outside the door and I let go of his hand and I ran. I ran to a safe place, far away from that room. Garrett was quick and was right behind me. He gathered me in his arms and I just sobbed into his chest, apologizing over and over again. He rubbed circles on my back and pet my hair, soothingly.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." he whispered in my ear. I calmed down soon enough, just listening to his voice, talking to me.

"Everything is going to be alright." he cooed. He brought my face up to look at his and he brushed what tears were left, away with his thumb. "How can you still be cute, even with your eyes all red and puffy?"

"It must be the ring." I stated, matter-of-factly. We both laughed and he kissed my other cheek, finally even. "You're right, that was the best part of the day." I smiled

"I must say though, your laugh is much prettier than your blood-curdling scream." We both laughed at this and made our way out back to the car.

We drove home, saying nothing, just playing with eachother's hands. He parked his car, opened my door and walked me across the street to my aunt's house. I hugged him goodbye and thanked him for everything. I was about to open the door, when he spun me around and planted a smooch right on my lips. I kissed him back, but only for a moment before it was over.

"Sweet dreams." he called with a wink and a grin. I smiled and blushed at our kiss and let myself in. I walked right up the stairs and flopped on my bed. I didn't bother to change because if I did, my dreams wouldn't come fast enough...

***A/N: Was the date all that you hoped for?! I sure hope so! Thanks for all of your support as THE GREATEST FANS IN THE WORLD! I really love reading your comments. I hope you are all excited for tomorrow's upload as well. In the meantime, you can do two things. You can read my other story, A Picture Worth Four Words, and you can vote for me in the Watty Awards!!! (Yes, I was finally informed on how to enter. Sometimes, I'm not that bright.) Continue with your lovely weekend, readers! -Maili<3***