WAIT! He's real?! Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Lucy gave me one of her looks like, "What the heck is that supposed to mean?" I just shrugged her off and walked hand in hand with Garrett to his front door. His little sister, Stephanie, raced down the stairs and bowled me over. Why does this keep happening to me in front of him?

"I swear, I can't be upright for more than ten minutes when I'm with you... I'm starting to think you're bad luck."

I said as he helped me up for about the fifth time since I've met him.

"Sorry, Avery!" Stephanie apologized, " I'm not very graceful, either." Garrett then introduced her to Lucy and they hit it off quickly. It's hard not to like Lucy, or Stephanie for that matter.

Just then, Garrett's parents, Jenna and Marcus, walked in looking rather chipper. I expected they were always like that, though.

"Avery, dear! So good to see you! It's only been a couple days, but we've missed you. Especially a certain someone." Jenna winked in Garrett's direction. I followed her and looked over at him. I gave his hand a squeeze. Jenna definitely noticed. His face was redder than mine when I fainted in the Vegas sun.

I introduced his parents to Lucy and she welcomed them as her new neighbors. Marcus gave us a once over and asked, "You girls here to help out?" we nodded, "Then let's get moving."

Jenna commented on how the weather was so much more pleasant than the Vegas heat. I texted Gemma and Rae to come on over and help out and to pick up Jordi from her friend's house on the way. The responded lightning fast, eager to see "Romeo", or so they called him.

We all got to work, moving many boxes to all of the different rooms. The rest of GRL arrived, along with Jordi, who squealed when she and Steph were reunited. My friends were introduced and soon after their heads were together trying to whisper and talk about how "dreamy" he is. Little did they know, he literally came from a dream.

He's about as dreamy as it gets. I laughed to myself about this pun as I unloaded the next box from the truck. I followed Mrs. Cross into the kitchen with the box of china. I turned to retrieve the next one, but she called out to me.

"Avery, could you help me unload all of these. I'd like to get the kitchen together as soon as possible so we can have a decent meal in our new home soon." she smiled. "In fact, I'd like to have your family over, so we can meet the rest of your family."

"Well why don't you guys come over tonight? There's nothing like a good barbecue in the beach breeze." Why on Earth did I just suggest that? Please say no. Please say no!

"Yes! That sounds like a great idea! I haven't had a barbecue in ages..." she gushed. "Why don't you give your parents a ring to make sure that this is okay?" Her bright smile was blinding.

"Sure! Excuse me for a sec." I said trying to keep it together. I stepped into the family room and whipped out my phone. I called my house and my dad answered.

"Hi, sweetie. Everything okay?" he asked.

"Yes, Daddy. Everything is fine. I was just wondering, could Garrett's family come over for a barbecue?" I silently prayed he would say no. I wasn't ready for my family to meet him yet.

"I'm sorry, hun. Not tonight." he replied. YES! "But we can do one Monday night! We'll have a big family night tomorrow!" Aww crap. This is going to be awful. I was zoning out while my dad was thinking of dinner ideas, but snapped to attention when I heard what he said next.

"Oh and we'll have to invite Jace and his family over. They are basically our family, too. Won't that be fun?" he said, happily.

"Super..." I replied, less than enthusiastic. He didn't seem to notice. My life had just become the dictionary definition of awkward. I mean, I knew Garrett and Jace were bound to meet sometime. He is my best friend. I was just hoping that I would have a little more time to prepare...

I walked back into the kitchen with the "good" news.

"It's all set Mrs. Cross, but we'll have to do it tomorrow night." I tried to smile without grimacing. "Oh and we're inviting our best friends, the Michaels family over as well. It will be so much fun." I tried not to cry.

"Goodie! It WILL be fun!" she said, smiling so big I thought her face might break. "Do they have any boys Garrett's age?" she asked as I flinched.

"Yup...His name is Jace. He has been my best friend since we were babies." I actually did smile at this.

"Yay, all the fun stories we'll get to hear." Her excitement was overwhelming.

We finished unpacking most of the boxes with idle chit-chat, before she dismissed me to go help the others.

I took some time to myself in the bathroom and splashed some water on my face. I took some calming breaths and hummed my favorite song. I got less shaky and nervous as I did these things. I took a hand-towel from one of the boxes to dry my face and felt a hand caress my back.

I dried my face and brought the towel away, only to be pulled into muscular arms.

"Are you alright?" a smooth voice questioned.

"Yes, just a little heated." I replied, laying on the fake courage. "You don't have to rescue me all the time, Gar."

"What if I want to?" he smirked as we pulled away from each other.

"Then you'd better start getting here earlier, my dear." I teased. "Are you really not coming to school tomorrow?" I sounded desperate, not strong at all.

"No, I'm sorry, A. My dad will still need me to help move furniture inside and put pieces together." he said with a sad smile. "That was the whole point of starting on Tuesday."

"I know," I sighed. "I just wanted you to be there. Mondays will be a lot better now that you're here. I just wanted to have a good one tomorrow." I'm going to need it.

He took my face in his hands and brushed the hair out of my eyes. I closed them as he kissed my forehead, then giggled as his lips brushed my nose. Forgetting my anxiety, we walked back out to the truck, my hand in both of his.

His eyes opened in surprise as he noticed my pinky.

"You're still wearing it?!" referring to Sage's ring. "I thought you would have taken it off by now." he said, still unbelieving.

"Only when I shower and sleep." I said, happy to make him smile. "Besides, I can't look cute without it."

We laughed, remembering Sage's sass. He still looked at me like I has gone mad.

"What? That day was special to me. I want to remember it..." I looked up at him through my lashes as my face got red.

He picked up another box and muttered, "Adorable." as he shook his head.

We finished brining in all the boxes inside. Garrett and Stephanie then offered to take us on a little tour of their new home. We laughed and joked the whole way. I was mainly laughing at how giggly GRL was and Jordi rolling her eyes behind them.

I sent her a look that said, "They can't help it...he's charming."

She shrugged as if to say, "So?"

I nodded my head in his direction, telling her to take another look. He was definitely melting their hearts. Jordi looked again and nodded in agreement. It's funny how well sisters communicate without words.

"The kid's got skill." she whispered as she caught up to me down the hall.

We went back home around 6:30 that evening to be there for family dinner.

I went to bed later, thinking of all of the different scenarios that could play out the next night. I thought I had figured them all out, but I had forgotten about one very influential piece: my older brother...

***A/N: Hey guys! I know this chapter isn't the juiciest, but I needed a filler to set up for the BBQ. Also, a filler chapter means that I am over my writer's block! YAY! And you guys got me up to number one again?! Seriously, you guys are too good for me. As for the shirts, they are in the works! They will probably be somewhere in the realm of twelve bucks. And who knows?! Maybe you can win one! Now who's hungry for some BBQ? -Maili