Chapter 22

Before Tig and Happy arrived at Darby's, Lowen returned his call, which was first on her list of messages regarding Aurora Lowman. He grumbled into the speaker loudly over the engine as he pulled off onto the side of the road.

"Happy, it's Ally Lowen, what's going on?"

"I don't know shit; I wanted to get the info from you."

There was no way he would know anything legally, that was her job, but Lowen didn't know exactly what other information he could provide.

"Okay. I'm heading to see her soon. Anything you want me to tell her?"

Happy looked at Tig to be sure he wasn't eavesdropping and lowered his voice. "Yeah, tell her," he paused and pursed his lips, "Just make she she ain't scared. I'm gonna get her out. Tell her I'm gonna get her out."

--

Lowen sat across from Rory, her eyes scanning over the official charges and summation of evidence. "This is," she tapped her perfectly manicured nails on the table. "This could probably get you three to five but they have your bail hearing for next week. There's no reason to keep you here that long. They want more."

"They'll get more." Rory said somberly. "The other guy on this assault, he and I worked together for a while and they're digging hard."

Lowen's body slumped a little with disappointment. "And I'm guessing that work could get you more like twenty-five to life?

"Most likely."

"Well, I'm your defense. If it goes that far, that's what I'm here for, but let's hope it doesn't. You have more than just me helping." Lowen smiled a little and closed the file. "I spoke to Happy," it was an easy lead in. Whatever Happy couldn't manage to take care of was what Lowen would have to clean up legally. Getting that part of Happy's message across was the whole point of Lowen specifying how far it went and added help. "He doesn't want you to be scared. He said he'll get you out."

Rory chuckled before looking at Lowen with pursed lips. "Yeah, well, the trust isn't exactly there like it used to be. So, I've been trying to secure the best outcome for my kids." With her eyes focusing on the clock above Lowen's head, Rory admitted something she never thought she would. "If this goes the way we're all hoping it won't, I'm not going to just sit in a cell and have him raise my babies. I need to get out of here. I'll make a deal, nothing with the club, but anything that gets me out of here."

"Rory," Lowen spoke in a warning tone. "That's dangerous, I think we both know that. I'll do whatever you want, as your lawyer, but in my experience deals always go sour."

"What would you do?" Rory asked, legitimately wanting an answer, with pleading eyes. "If you'd done the things I have and were in this position," she shook her handcuffs. "Happy cheated on me, more than once with more than one girl, and now I'm supposed to give birth to my kids while locked up and let him raise them all? In Charming?"

That truth wasn't exactly surprising but Lowen could see how crushing it was for Rory. "I don't know what I would do." Lowen admitted truthfully. "What good is getting out if you end up dead? Would you do wit pro?"

"I'd have to give up a lot for witness protection." Rory mused. "But maybe," she shrugged. "I don't want to take them away from Happy, as much as he's hurt me he's still a good dad, but I'm so sick of Charming and his bullshit. I gotta think about my kids."

--

Out of the two of them, Tig and Happy, the latter was surprisingly less scary to many people. So, that in mind, Happy stood off to the side as Tig thumped his fist on Darby's door.

Checking the peephole, Darby groaned but answered the door without much hesitation. He stood in the doorway in just his boxers, a glass of milk in his hand and an annoyed smile playing on his lips.

"Mornin' Sunshine." Tig grinned just as Happy slipped between them and violently forced him further into the house. Following them in, Tig laughed as he shut the door behind and locked it.

"What the fuck is this about?" Darby flew back, the glass shattering as it, and he, hit the floor. "I didn't do shit to SAMCRO."

"No, but you're gonna do something for us." Happy grunted as he leapt on top of him and held him to the ground with a tight hand around Darby's neck. "Who was Rory working for?"

The stammering nonsense coming from Darby's mouth only enraged Happy further. "Man, you got balls," Tig laughed. "I'll give you that. If I had Happy on me like that I'd tell whatever he asked and he likes me!"

Happy smiled at Tig's joke before cracking his skull into Darby's nose immediately breaking it. "What's this asshole's name?"

"He said he isn't gonna help Parker!" Darby stuttered. "He's just gonna take him out. Burn the loose end."

Happy and Tig made eye contact, their faces both twisted with fear and anger. "That ain't gonna happen. They picked up my old lady, Parker's partner, and I'm getting her out."

"He'll go for her," Darby said sullenly as the blood began to crust on his face. He was a violent criminal but, unlike many others they dealt with, Darby never wanted to see a woman hurt and that was the truth.

"Then we gotta make sure he doesn't." Happy growled. "Who is he?"

"Ethan Zobelle," Darby said quickly. "His name is Ethan Zobelle."