Chapter 15

"You can't go?" Rory asked as Happy bustled around the kitchen. "Hap, it's important. Even if everything is fine, we're going to find out what we're having. I'd like your support."

Quietly he stuck his wallet in his pants and kissed her cheek before scurrying to the front door. "I can't."

"Why not?" Nagging was not usually one of Rory's traits but that morning she was making up for lost time or so it felt to Happy. "This is about your children and I'm scared."

When she made that statement, admitted being less than stoic and strong, Happy stopped halfway out the door. "Why are you scared? Are they okay?"

"I think so, I just," somewhat lost for words she shrugged and leaned against the entryway wall. "The chemo and the cancer, I just keep thinking that maybe all that shit fucked up my eggs and these babies aren't going to be healthy." They were more than thoughts, they were tormenting nightmares, and Rory tried as long as she could to keep from hounding Happy with her concerns.

Aggravated, he stepped back in and shut the door. "The doctor knows about that shit, right?"

"Yeah, I told her everything."

"And what'd she say?"

"That it was almost impossible and that so far, through the blood work and the other ultrasounds, the babies seem to be great."

Happy nodded, feeling much less terrified than when she had first admitted her fears, and roughly pulled her closer to him, or as close as he could, considering her size. "Then it's all good. You gotta relax; I have to head out, club shit."

It wasn't often she was asked to take a backseat to the club, Happy was surprisingly good with balancing it the longer they were together, Emma did her part to keep him present as well. For as scared as he was when she was born, Happy had grown into a proper father and he loved spending time with her.

"Okay," she spoke with heavy disappointment. "I'll call you."

Holding her cheeks in his palms, Happy pressed a hard kiss on her forehead. With more sincerity, so much so that it was unnerving, than she'd ever heard, Happy whispered. "I love you, little girl."

"Tara, thank you." Rory said as she walked her and Emma to the door. "As soon as I'm done I'll swing by and pick her up."

Waving away the gratitude, Tara smiled sweetly. "Don't worry about it. I'm sure Abel will love the company and someone to show off in front of, Thomas doesn't pay much attention. Hope she doesn't mind trucks instead of Barbie."

Pulling a face, Rory gestured to the corner of the living room where Emma's toys were neatly piled and put away. It was clear the girl had more than just dolls on the brain by the amount of cars, building blocks and the like mixed in.

"I don't think that'll be a problem."

"Good luck." Tara said as they shared a brief one-armed hug before Rory gave Emma a prolonged goodbye and then sent them on their way.

Rory nodded and shut the door, eager to get out of the house, but before she even made it upstairs, there was a sharp quick, knock at the front door. "Seriously?" She groaned. Stomping back down she swung open the door to see Eli Roosevelt with a polite smile on his face. Rory expected Tara or maybe even Happy but not the new Sheriff. "I didn't know you'd taken over already. I thought Unser had six weeks?"

"Good morning to you too, Mrs. Lowman. May I come in?"

"I have to leave soon, very soon. Will this take long?" Roosevelt looked by her and into the house without answering her question. "Fine, come in." Stepping barely ten feet into the house Rory pressed her hand to her belly and waited for him to start.

"Do you know this man?" From his pocket, Eli unfolded a print out of Parker's mugshot, his face badly beaten, and presented it to Rory.

She nodded, knowing they'd been seen together around town and there was more than likely something official linking them. "Yes, I do. He's a friend."

"How often do you speak with him?"

"I don't know, it varies. What's this about?"

"You don't seen concerned that he's in this condition."

Laughing a little Rory rolled her eyes. "He gets his ass kicked a lot and he gets arrested here and there. I'm sure he can handle himself."

"Can you handle yourself?"

"Excuse me?" She stepped back and defensively covered her stomach.

Eli shook his head, as if she misunderstood him, and smiled. "We're investigating him, thoroughly. He was picked up in Vegas after a few scams, we had him extradited here. That's why you haven't heard from him for a few weeks."

"Well, that's sad. He had potential. Is there anything else I can do for you? I have an appointment."

"No, you have a nice day, Mrs. Lowman."

"You too, Sheriff." She said, swallowing back her panic, as he stepped back out into the sunlight. Shutting the door, she let out a little cry and knocked her head against the mirror. "Fuck, this is really bad."