Chapter Twelve

Helping me up off the floor, Jake pulls me up with one hand easily. He has pretty good sized muscles and a six pack while Kyle is scrawny and tall and just pretty average which I don’t mind, but it’s better when boys have abs. I should know. Kyle turns the corner of the hallway. “Ready for Homecoming next weekend, Hammerson?” He did a dude handshake with Jake.

Suck up. “Yeah man!” Jake body slammed his body against Kyle’s. I cover my on coming smile with my hand, knowing that Kyle wanted to fall back onto the floor, but caught himself before that could happen. Aw man, I wanted to see that.

“Are you bringing her to homecoming?” He gestures to me with his finger as he falls back onto a nearby locker, leaning against it in a cool looking way.

Jake tightens his grip around my waist. “Duh, I want her to wear my number.” He looks down at me and smiles cutely.

I just now noticed Kyle wearing a football jersey as well. He must be a football player too? Oh brother, more things to complicate my life. If I knew Kyle, he’d make me feel guilty and ask me to wear his number too. Then what would I do? Jake’s number would have to come first. He’s the first male that hasn’t embarrassed or degraded me in front of others. He cares.

“Oh yeah. I just gotta find someone to wear mine.” Kyle smirks and looks in my direction quickly so maybe I’d catch his drift. I did.

“Be careful, Caleb! I mean it and if you have any problems-” He cut me off with his little hand to my mouth.

“Yeah, yeah. I’ll call you. Don’t forget to get my that new video game. I mean my birthday is this weekend after all.” He smiles and winks at me before catching up to his friends in the school Courtyard. Oh crap. His birthday was this weekend and it was Homecoming too. Over the weekend, Jake and I had had a very good weekend. Caleb had been at his friend’s house and we’d had the whole apartment to ourselves.

Driving to school, I applied some make-up to my face. Monday morning and I was not looking forward to health class today. I mean, I was a prostitute, what did you expect? That’d I’d be disease free? His friends were with him when I got to the school in the hallway by my locker. Jake escaped his maniac group of jock friends and hugged me, kissing my lips gently. “Hey, babe.” He walks me to my locker. “Hey, at least your getting the whole combination thing down.” He was right, I’d gotten better.

Grabbing my health book, I slam my locker door and head to the class. Jake walked me there with no complaints, and that’s what I’d loved about him. I was so mad because health was an open class, you talked a lot and read out loud and I hated it. “See you at lunch.” Jake whispers, making out with me until the final bell.

Naomi smiles at me when I enter the room. She waves her arms frantically for me to come and sit next to her. Thinking about it, I guess I just hadn’t realized that she was in the class with me. “Oh, thank God your in this class!” I gush, hugging onto her for dear life.

Unfortunately, I hadn’t noticed Gina and her little posse were in the group of classmates too. “What’s the other two’s names?” I whisper in Naomi’s ear.

She whispers back. “There Katie and Farrah.” That explains. One was Indian and the other one was just plain out American like Gina. “And did you know Gina’s real name is Regina?” We both burst into a fit of giggles and the teacher walks in, so I turn around in my seat.

I sat in the second row front seat. Fun. “Okay, class. Today we’re going to be doing the swab test so everyone grab a swab and take a seat.” Naomi grabbed me a swab as well and we were ordered to put it inside our mouth and swab it around in our cheek area. We do so and laugh at all of our expressions. “Alright. Now stick them in these test tubes, write your name on a piece of masking tape, and I’ll ship them out after school today.” She says, fixing her glasses.