14┃𝙖𝙡𝙚𝙭𝙖𝙣𝙙𝙧𝙞𝙖, 𝙫𝙞𝙧𝙜𝙞𝙣𝙖

GRACE WOULD NEVER FORGET THAT DAY, NO MATTER HOW HARD SHE TRIED

GRACE WOULD NEVER FORGET THAT DAY, NO MATTER HOW HARD SHE TRIED. That night replayed in her head almost constantly, she hated it. She hated what she did, and she hated what they did to her.

She hated who she'd become.

When you're on the road, alone, you really start to become someone you're not. Your entire life revolves around surviving, not particularly living. That was just pure reality for Grace. That day, she managed to find her way out of the woods, the moment she laid eyes on that car her heart dropped.

They were gone, only leaving behind piles and piles of blood and the bodies of those same men. It was obvious to Grace, they made it out, they must of. It was also obvious to the young girl that she'd been left behind.

Whatever came after that was somewhat of a blur.

Grace's first thought was to get to Terminus, she convinced herself that they hadn't left her, and just thought if they got to Terminus, Grace would follow.

It didn't take that long to get there, but she didn't get very far before realizing Terminus was burned to the ground and completely overrun.

Grace wondered if they'd ever even made it into Terminus, did they do that? Or was it the work of someone else? It didn't matter. At that point, none of it mattered to Grace anymore. She was on her own now, she always had been, and she'd just have to keep going.

━━━━━━━☆━━━━━━━

WHEN YOUR OUT ON YOUR OWN IN THE WOODS, YOU BEGIN TO LOSE TRACK OF TIME. Grace couldn't place the date, nor how long it'd been since she'd been out on her own. It felt like forever. Since Terminus, Grace realized she only had herself, and she would have to learn how to survive.

She spent her entire life hiding behind walls, whether it was at the farm or the prison, she'd been hiding, and she was done with that. She was done with being weak, and afraid. You couldn't afford to be weak, or afraid in the new world, and you'd have to do whatever it takes to survive, no matter what.

Grace never had a long-term plan, it was all about jumping from place to place, house to house, forest to forest, she was never somewhere for longer than two days, she kind of just thought maybe one day she'd stumble upon people and she wouldn't have to survive anymore.

She could just live.

But the longer she stayed out there, the more detached she got, she didn't want to find anyone else. She could survive on her own, she'd done fine so far, she didn't need anyone else.

They'd just slow her down.

It'd been two days since Grace found herself held up inside the woods, it was safest out there. She'd gotten particularly good at hunting, she wasn't a pro of any sort but she could do enough to keep her going each day.