0┃𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚

ONE MONTH, FIVE WEEKS OR THIRTY-EIGHT DAYS, It could be said in a dozen different ways but nothing changed the fact that what started as Gracelynn Smith's eleventh birthday, ended in a word-wide pandemic that was a lot more than your average once-...

ONE MONTH, FIVE WEEKS OR THIRTY-EIGHT DAYS, It could be said in a dozen different ways but nothing changed the fact that what started as Gracelynn Smith's eleventh birthday, ended in a word-wide pandemic that was a lot more than your average once-every-few-decades-pandemic.

Gracelynn woke up like she did every other morning for the past eleven years of her life, she got out of bed, walked into the kitchen, and was met with the smiling faces of her mother and father who held balloons and confetti poppers in their hands. They weren't always the best parents, but god, did they love their daughter like nobody else could.

Gracelynn spent that faithful morning eating birthday-cake flavored pancakes and opening two gifts early, one being a brand new backpack that any sixth-grader would craze over, and the other being a gift not from her mother, or her father, or even her grandparents for that matter, but her older brother, who sent the girl a baseball bat all the way from Virginia.

It was typical with nothing special on it but the name "GRACIE" effortlessly engraved on the handle with what was probably a butter knife, but it meant something to Grace, cause it came from her brother, who took the time to remember the young girl played in a baseball league.

As Gracelynn walked out the doors of her modern Atlanta farmhouse with her brand-new backpack drooping over her shoulder and her brand-new baseball bat in hand, She waved off to her mother and father as they stood on the porch, waving back. Gracelynn didn't know then, what she knew now. If she did, she would've never stepped out the front door.

━━━━━━━☆━━━━━━━

AS GRACELYNN'S EYES FLICKERED OPEN, She felt nothing but despair and dread for the day that was to come. Every single day was the same and had been the same for the past thirty-eight days. Gracelynn would wake up to the sound of her parents arguing, she'd get out of bed, stare out the window, water her farm's plants, feed the animals if her mom forgot to, eat something, get back in bed, and repeat. The days were unamusing and dreadful, they hadn't always been though.

The days when Gracelynn Smith would spring out of bed and rush out the front door on her way to school were far gone, they were almost forgettable, out of reach was the best way to describe it. When things first went down, the television and radio went on and on and on and on about refugee camps, safety tips, constant updates, and more.

At first, Gracelynn listened like crazy, not stepping away from the television and not even looking away from the radio when the television and electricity overall finally gave out, but at one point it went radio silent, she couldn't place when, it all felt so far away.

For a moment, she almost felt okay, her room wasn't too cold, or too hot. She heard clucking outside and saw despite not being watered in a few days, her tulips hadn't succumbed to dehydration just yet, until she remembered.

It'd been two days now since her mother and father went out to the city, they believed the radio was right, and that there were camps and shelter out there, she didn't get why they wanted to go, I mean, they were safe right where they were, she thought her parents couldn't handle the fact the world was over.

When her mom first left, she told her they'd be back by midnight, no matter what they found, they'd come back. Yet they never did, and It'd been two days, at first Gracelynn cried, and cried, and cried until there were no more tears to come out, but now she felt numb. Her mother also told her if anything happened, go to the Greene's farm.

Gracelynn wasn't too familiar with the Greenes, she'd seen the youngest Greene, Beth, on her way to school sometimes considering the nearest high school was directly beside the nearest middle school. Sometimes her dad would make her bike ride over to the family's farm just to deliver a few eggs, and it was usually the Greene's eldest, Maggie, who would greet her at the door and thank her. She herself didn't know them all well, but her dad was real close to Hershel Greene, so she understood why if stuff went down, they'd trust them with their daughter.

As Gracelynn packed her bags, she wanted to cry. Oh, how much she wanted to sob. She just couldn't.

She thought about what to take, what she needed, but in the end, she just took the stuff she wanted, not like there was anyone to tell her what to do anymore. She threw in a few t-shirts and a few long sleeves, paired with one-to-two pairs of pants and shorts, she also made sure to bring a few comic books, some colouring pencils, and her favorite stuffed animal.

Of course, She couldn't forget her baseball bat too.

As Gracelynn stepped outside the front door for the first time in some time, the breeze hit her like nothing before. It was a nice day. Gracelynn then said goodbye to her animals, she felt kind of bad just leaving them, but she left some food and was sure she'd be able to come back for them once she gotten to the Greene's. She also watered her tulips for the first time in at least a week, so she felt accomplished.

As Gracelynn kicked up her bike stand and positioned her body on the seat, putting her bat through a tiny hole in her back-pack, praying it wouldn't fall out as she made her way there, as she began riding, she started to think, Gracelynn's biggest enemy was her own thoughts.

What if they're all dead? What if it's completely taken over by whatever the radio means by "The dead is walking". What if they don't want to take her in? What if this, what if that, it was all pointless. She had no choice, just to keep going forward.

━━━━━━━☆━━━━━━━

ENIDLOVE-BOT NOTE,

let's not talk about how i had to re-write this chapter like three times... couldn't settle on a name, couldn't settle the plot, i was seriously struggling.. also.. what is that?! a bat given to a smith!?? cough cough cough the day will come when u wont be cough cough!!! anyways its out now so woooo! if theres any mistakes ignore them lol i didnt have time to proofread