A Tale for the Ages and Sparring

Nana Sano nee Sawada was usually a very happy woman. How could she not be? She had a wonderful job at Namimori University teaching Roman and Greek mythology, a loving husband who supported her in all her endeavors while taking care of the house, and an adorable daughter who was just like her Daddy. She had so much to be thankful for.

However, there were times she found herself more annoyed than anything.

This was one of those times.

"For the last time Mikey, we are not canceling on Iemitsu! He's coming all the way from Italy to visit us, so the least we can do is host him for a few hours! Besides, he's really looking forward to meeting Tsuna!", Nana said loudly as she washed the rice for dinner. Mikey, who was chopping zucchini on the other end of the counter, narrowed his eyes at her in that way he did when he wanted to glare at her but physically couldn't because he loved her too much. The only reason she was raising her voice in the slightest was because Tsuna wasn't around to hear. She was at her new friend Kyoya's place, learning martial arts from his Uncle Fon, which she had enthusiastically encouraged after her husband had informed her of the man's offer of tutelage due to her daughter's deep interest in it due to her father and the practicality of it. Nana hadn't met either Kyoya or Fon personally, but all Tsuna ever talked about was them, so she liked to think she knew a little bit about the two.

Kyoya was the son of the Hibari's, about her daughter's age and was in the same class at her kindergarten. He was antisocial with most, but was deeply attached to Tsuna and treated her well. He also toted a pair of tonfas around, which Nana thought was odd for a five year old.

Fon was a completely different story; smiling, kind to all and charismatic. She assumed he was Mei-lin Hibari's brother given his Chinese first name and uncle status to Kyoya. He was also an excellent instructor, and seemed to dote on Tsuna excessively. Nana couldn't count the times she had come home with a sweet or some trinket or another, with an ear splitting grin on her face and a story to tell.

Both the man and the boy seemed to make Tsuna happy, so she was more than happy to let her daughter spend time with them.

Mikey, however...

Nana had known Mikey since her first year of highschool, when a young man with blonde hair and a delinquent-like appearance rolled up to her small town in all his unapologetic glory. He had moved into a small apartment near her house all on his lonesome, and had told anyone who asked he had come there for a 'change of scenery'. Everyone and their dog knew this wasn't the whole truth, but kept their mouths shut so as to not be rude, and decided to just leave the boy be.

Nana, however, had not gotten the memo. She had walked up to his door one morning before school, knocked on it loudly enough to wake the neighbors, and asked if he wanted to come over for breakfast before school. He had tried to decline, but Nana was persistent, and eventually he gave in.

After that day, Mikey was a permanent fixture in the Sawada household. He walked Nana to and from school, came over to help cook (she and her mother had taught him how. He had been amazing at it when he actually learned the recipes), and was practically attached to her at the hip. To him, Nana was his dearest friend, and they told each other everything.

A year passed, and they both fell in love. They dated throughout the rest of highschool, with no major fights and no drama. They kept to themselves for the most part, not that anyone wanted to be friends with the crazy myth girl and the scary delinquent city boy.

Eventually, they both graduated. She had moved in with Mikey and they were planning to move to a larger city. Nana had Tokyo in mind for their new residence, but that idea was shot down just as quickly as she had brought it up one night over dinner when she saw Mikey's usually easy-going smile turn into a look of pure horror. She had never seen him look so scared before.