Chapter 21

"Tonight is a full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse." Elijah stood at the center of the room, hand in his pocket while Elena sat watching him.

Damon had shut himself up in his room, choosing not to show up with Elijah in the house. And for that Elena was glad.

From the armchair beside her and with Natalie standing between his legs, Stefan leaned forward. "Elena said that the sun and moon curse is fake. That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus."

Elijah nodded, confirming the terrible truth. "Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it, he'll be a true hybrid."

The thought of something as powerful as a hybrid brought shivers down her spine. 

  Elena looked over at Natalie who had made herself comfortable on Stefan's lap, turning her head every time one of them spoke. She reached over to caress her daughter's hair.

"Then why are we letting him break the curse?" Damon came into the room abruptly. "We can kill him today." He looked directly at Elena. "With Bonnie."

"Damon." Stefan's voice was full of warning, but Elena cut him off before he can continue.

"No," Elena argued. "Bonnie can't use that much power without dying."

Damon shrugged, carelessly. "I'll write her a great eulogy."

"It's not an option, Damon." She snapped.

"All right, How do we break this curse?" Stefan asked Elijah.

"Well, the ritual itself is straightforward." He explained. "The ingredients, so to speak, you already know." Elijah got up from his place.

"The moonstone," Stefan started.

And Elijah continued. "A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire will sacrifice one of each."

Elena leaned forward and asked. "And where do I fit into it?"

"The final part of the ritual." Elijah walked up to one of the many shelves of the bookcase and grabbed a chest. "Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger. . . to the point of your death."

Unease filled the room. Stefan held his head in his hand and reached out for Elena's for comfort, giving it a soft squeeze.

"Is Mama gonna die?" A tiny voice asked. Elena looked at her daughter, who looked at her with watery eyes.

Elena reached over and held her hand. "No, moon. Don't worry, 'cause that's where Elijah comes in." She turned to look at the Original. "Right?"

"Right," Elijah opened the chest and pulled out a an ancient looking glass vile. "This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation."

Elena frowned with confusion. "So I'll be dead?"

"And then you won't."

Was it supposed to be so easy? Elena thought. She wanted it to be easy, for once in the last few months she wanted something to come easy for all of them. Elijah seemed confident in his plan to kill Klaus, confident enough to try and save her with a 500-year-old elixir. Elena wasn't going to put her full trust in the elixir itself. She didn't trust that it would save her, but she knew the chances. And she trusts Elijah.

  Damon not so much.

"That's your plan?" Damon scoffed. "A magical witch potion with no expiration date?" He turned to look at her. "You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?"