Chapter 8

Damon Salvatore opened his front door to reveal Jeremy Gilbert with a bag over his shoulder as he held on to Little Natalie's hand as she stood by his side.

"I need to talk to you." Jeremy stated, adjusting his backpack on his shoulder.

"And why do I need to talk to you?" Damon retorted. "And what's the kid doing here?" He waved with his fingers as she smiled brightly and waved with enthusiasm.

"Elena and Jenna are volunteers for the Masquerade ball. They asked to babysit but that's beside the point." Damon tried to close the door on him but Jeremy quickly held it open. "Tyler Lockwood has to kill someone to activate his curse. He's not a werewolf yet." He informed.

"Wow. Fascinating. Not enough." He said, pushing the door to close.

Jeremy intercepted once again making Natalie rush in between their legs and ran inside with a giggle, Damon sighed in frustration. "But Mason Lockwood is, and he's looking for a Moonstone. . . A special rock connected to the werewolf legend. That's why he's here." He smirked with a tilt of his head. "And I know where it is."

"And you're bringing me this why?" Damon questioned.

"Do I need a reason? Look, I just want to help, ok?" Jeremy sighed.

Damon narrowed his eyes. "What did your sister say about this little discovery?"

Jeremy stayed silent, avoiding the vampire's eyes.

  "Oh, you haven't told her, have you? And I doubt she knows that her little offspring is wreaking havoc in my house." Damon said with amusement.

"Elena doesn't want me getting involved in all of this." Jeremy tried to walk inside but is pushed back.

"And you're a Gilbert and you just can't help yourself. Wow. Your search for life's purpose is as obvious as it is tragic." Damon smiled sarcastically. "And the kid?" He nudged his head inside where Natalie ran around.

"I told you I'm babysitting."

Damon rolled his eyes. "Doesn't she have daycare or something?" Jeremy shook his head. "She did, but Elena got paranoid with Katherine around and pulled her out. You going to let me in or not?"

Damon opened the door wider to let him inside. Just as Jeremy walked in, the noise of shattered glass is heard.

Jeremy speeds inside to find Natalie standing over a shattered cup staring at it sadly. "I'm sorry. Nat wanted juice."

Damon sighed. "Kid, you're 2, just ask."

"Busy fighting." Natalie argued.

  Jeremy carefully picked her up and stepped over the glass, leaving Damon to pick up the glass as he looked at them incredulously. "Aw Nattie, no one was fighting. Damon is just a dick." Natalie goes to speak but is stopped. "Don't repeat that. Ever." Natalie happily obliged as they step deeper into the home.

-

Walking outside, Elena saw Bonnie carrying a box of candles over to a table. They slow in their steps as they reach each other. "You're here" Elena happily said.

The witch gave her a forced smile. "I'm here."

Elena put out candles as she watched her friend look around as if someone would jump at her. "Caroline's not coming. I told you."

"Just making sure." Bonnie said.

They began decorating the tables. "You know, eventually you're going to have to talk to her." Elena said, getting to the point.