Chapter 14

"Stefan?"

Elena walked into her boyfriend's room with Natalie running ahead to jump on his bed. "No jumping, Natalie. You could get hurt." She warned as she walked further into the room.

"Stefan?" She called out. Natalie chiming in as well.

Natalie began to giggle from her spot on Stefan's bed as she stared at something over Elena's shoulder.

"You're standing right behind me, aren't you?"

Stefan chuckled. "Yup."

Elena turned around and reached over to pull him into a kiss, holding him tight. Elena giggled and pulled back when she heard a tiny 'ew' from the otherwise of the room. Stefan looked at her with an affectionate smile. "Good morning."

Elena's eyes roamed over his face as she took him in. "I don't want us to be apart anymore. Ever."

"Me either. But. . ." A look of hesitance flashed over his face. Elena quickly interrupted him.

"Don't ruin the moment." And pulled him into another kiss.

They stopped once they heard little footsteps barreling toward them. They looked over to Natalie as she ran over and hugged Stefan's leg. "Hi, Daddy." She greeted with a toothy smile.

Stefan smiled softly before picking her up. "Hi, Nattie. Did you miss me?" She eagerly nodded. "You did? Well, I missed you too." And placed kisses all over her face as she giggled away. Elena smiled softly as she kissed both of their cheeks.

The look on Stefan's face made her pause. "You're about to ruin then moment, aren't you?"

Stefan sighed and looked at Natalie. "I'm totally ruining the moment." He turned back to Elena and held both of her hands with his free hand. "Look, I can't just pretend like everything's ok."

Elena smiled assuringly. "Katherine's locked away in the tomb." She said before walking over to his desk, reaching for a tiny chest.

Stefan set Natalie down and watched as she climb onto one of his chairs near Elena, before reaching for his shirt. "I know but we still have this pressing little issue of you being Klaus' human sacrifice."

"Yes, but Elijah promised to keep me, my daughter, and everyone else safe as long as we played by his rules." Elena explained as she walked over

Stefan scrunched up his face. "Right. As long as you played by his rules."

Elena walked over to his bar stand with a vial of vervain in hand, pouring half into a glass and the other half into Natalie's sippy cup, before pouring water into it. "Please don't go after Isobel." She urged.

"Katherine said Isobel could have some answers, and I just have a couple of questions, that's all." Stefan replied.

Elena grew frustrated with his persistence. "Stefan, I made a deal with Elijah." Glass cup in hand and Nat's sip cup in the other, Elena walked over to Natalie who sat patiently and handed her cup. She smoothed her hair and watched as she took a sip before taking one from her own cup.

"Right. You made a deal with him. I didn't make one. You should keep your deal."

Elena lowered the cup from her lips and took a step toward him. "Stefan, I don't want anyone else to get hurt."

Stefan looked at her earnestly. "When have I ever wanted somebody to get hurt?"

Elena sighed. Stefan looked down at the cup in her hand as she raised it up to him. "Vervain. I made it light." She pulled back her hand as he tried to reach for it. "But are you sure? Just because Katherine built up a tolerance. . ."