Chapter 11

Elena knocked on the Salvatore home, waiting to be let in. Natalie held her hand, buzzing with excitement. Elena was hoping she could go a while before she saw Damon again after last night, but it seemed like the universe would be against her on that one when he answered the door.

"Hello, Elena." He gave her a tight-lipped smile. Damon then turned his eyes toward Natalie, who was struggling to keep herself from running inside, plus the tight grip Elena had on her hand stopped her. "Hey, kid"

"Hi." Natalie waved at him excitedly. Elena tried her best to keep a blank face and went straight to the point. "Is Stefan here?" She cleared her throat. "He called, said it was important."

Damon nudged his head inside. "Right this way." That was all that Natalie needed before running inside and bumping directly into Stefan's legs, making him stumble.

"Daddy!" Natalie beamed, reaching out for him to pick her up. Stefan smiled gently, swooping her up and throwing her high in the air, making her screech from excitement before catching her again. "Hey, Nattie."

Elena approached them as she wore a soft smile. "Missed you, Daddy." Stefan adjusted her in his arms. "I missed you too, Nat. Don't worry, soon, you and I are going to spend the whole together. How does that sound?"

"Yay!" Natalie clapped, kicking her feet against him.

Stefan turned his attention toward Elena, who watched the interaction with warmth in her eyes. "Hey." He said, placing Natalie down as she stuck to his leg.

The moment was over, and Elena went to the point. "What is this about?" She asked, adjusting her bag.

Stefan suddenly turned to look at someone Elena thought she'd never see again. Rose approached slowly and carefully. Elena stepped closer to Natalie, keeping her eyes trained on Rose. "You."

Rose only strained a smile and an awkward wave. "Cute kid."

Elena looked at Stefan in confusion. He nodded, indicating that it was ok.

-

"Ok, you have to understand I only know what I've picked up over the years. And I don't know what's true and what's not true. Thats' the problem with all this vampire crap. But Klaus, I know is real." Rose explained.

Elena sat on the couch, arms crossed, and watched Rose pace back and forward. Natalie sat by her feet surrounded by toys Stefan and Damon keep for her at their house, every now and then the sound of toppling blocks crashing down followed by a squealing giggle was heard as Rose talked.

"Who is he?" Elena asked.

Damon spoke up this time. "One of the Originals. He's a legend." Ever since last night, Elena had trouble meeting his eyes.

"From the first generation of vampires." Stefan chimed in.

"Like Elijah."

Rose shook her head. "No. Elijah was the Easter bunny compared to Klaus. He was a foot soldier. Klaus is the real deal."

Natalie perked up at the mention of the Easter bunny. Looking directly at Damon, she whispered with wide eyes. "Is Bunny real?" Having heard her, Damon pursed his lips and discreetly shook his head. "I told Jer." She muttered, turning her attention back to her toys.

"Klaus is known to be the oldest." Stefan said, sending a glare at Damon, who simply shrugged.

"Ok, so you're saying that the oldest vampire in the history of time is coming after me?" Elena asked in disbelief.

"No."

"Yes."

Stefan and Rose spoke at the same time, neither confirming the fearful truth.