Chapter 1

𝗜𝗳 you were to ask anyone in Mystic Falls about the Gilbert's, they would say with pity in their eyes that they had been a happy family

𝗜𝗳 you were to ask anyone in Mystic Falls about the Gilbert's, they would say with pity in their eyes that they had been a happy family. Grayson Gilbert and Miranda Gilbert were loving parents to their two children, Elena and Jeremy Gilbert. Grandparents to little Natalie. But the Gilbert family was now in mourning, Just months after a fatal accident on Wickery Bridge that had the Gilbert couple and their only daughter in the car. Elena was the only survivor and no one could understand how.

Now starting her Junior year, Elena sat at her desk writing in her journal hoping that today she would finally be ok, that her mind and heart would finally agree with her words. Being pulled from her thoughts by the sound of a simple "mama", Elena looked up to see her daughter making grabby hands at her. Elena gave her a small smile. "Are you ready for your first day of daycare nat?" She asked, walking up to her crib and picking her up with a kiss. Grabbing her and Nat's things, Elena gave a final look at the mirror and reassured herself that today would be ok, and looking at her daughter, playing with her hair, and giggling to herself. Elena started to believe it, just a little.

She walked down the stairs toward Jenna in the kitchen with Natalie on her hip and bags on her shoulder.

"Toast," Jenna said looking through the fridge with a grimace. "I can make toast."

Putting Natalie on her high chair with her baby snacks, Elena went to the coffee maker first thing. "It's all about the coffee, Aunt Jenna."

Her brother, Jeremy walked in right after, headed straight for Natalie and giving her a kiss while she babbled away. "Is there coffee?" He asked. Snatching Elena's cup of coffee from her hand, sipping it, and claiming it as his own. She looked at him with annoyance, pulling out another cup to serve herself another.

Jenna sighed, stress etched in her muscles. "It's your first day of school and I'm totally unprepared." She went through her purse and pulled out cash. "Lunch money?"

Elena glanced at it and said with a shake of her head. "I'm ok." But Jeremy took it and pocketed it before she could take it back.

Jenna rushed around the kitchen, picking through everything she had in hand. "Anything else? A No. 2 Pencil? What am I missing?"

Elena furrowed her brows in thought. "Don't you have a big presentation today?"

"I have to meet with my thesis advisor at-" Jenna held up her hand and checked her watch, "Now, crap!"

"Go," Elena said, "We'll be fine."

"Are you sure? I can still make time to drop off Natalie" Jenna asked, unsure.

She answered her aunt with reassurance. "I'm sure, go."

Jenna then left with no other questions, in a rush.

Elena sighed, looking at her brother with concern. "You ok?"

He scoffed. "Don't start." Jeremy said, and he left without another word.