Chapter 16

Dodger's P.O.V.

I quickly stepped over the sleeping cats and ran out to where Venom and Midnight were still talking. "Midnight! Midnight!" I called after him. He turned his head over his shoulder and looked at me in confusion, "What is it?" He murmured, narrowing his eyes as I halted, spraying snow on the two toms. "Its Deer! Shes gone!" I exclaimed. His eyes went wide and he whipped around immediately. "This better not be a joke Dodger!" He snarled at me. The Tribe was waking now. Venom stepped in between us, hissing with his ears flat, "Calm down. I'm sure she just went for a hunt or a walk,"

Midnight growled low, "She would've told me!" Cats were exiting the dens. "Whats all the commotion about?" Slash mewed, itching his ear. "Yeah. We're trying to sleep." Kink sneered sleepily. "Deer, she's gone. Has anyone seen her?" Venom announced, raising his voice. Cats exchanged glances and shook their heads. "We have to search for her!" I breathed. Venom nodded, "Alright, alright. Calm down."

* * * * *

Soot's P.O.V.

I carried my sparrow in my jaws by its tail feathers while Fox carried a rabbit, both scrawny. The rabbit had hopped over to our territory and he had chased it to a corner, then killed it. I saw movement in the corner of my eye that made me turn and look. 'Perfect, more prey!' I thought, scanning the snowy ground, but nothing came into view. 'A rabbit probably.' Setting down the sparrow I whispered over to Fox, "I think a rabbit is near. I saw movement near WindClan's border." He nodded.

Quickly, we dug out a hole and set out prey in it and covered it. We stalked around the boulders and saw a black pelt. "Is it a crow or something?" I suggested. But he shook his head, "No, its too big to be a bird. It has to be a cat." I nodded. Then the sight of a small brown pelt came into my view. "Maybe WindClan is hunting after a rabbit with a brown pelt?" Fox mewed, moving his head to get a better view.

Creeping forwards and more toward the two colors, we narrowed our eyes. "They're cats!" I whispered, shock puling through my veins. "Maybe someone in our Tribe found a WindClan warrior venturing around our territory line," I whispered, turning to him. He shook his head again, "No. They aren't threatening each other or yelling in refusal to give up." "But, who could they be? Surely it can't be anyone from our Tribe, right?" Fox shrugged, but didn't answer. After a silence that seemed like forever, Fox spoke. "Lets get closer, so we can see who they are." I nodded a few times a followed Fox through the snow. Curiosity was ready to kill me, just the thought of knowing who these two were, was choking me.

The black pelt's scent was washed in WindClan's scent. While the other was covered in the Tribe of Rotting Skull's scent. 'No. This cat can't be a traitor! Please jut be reasoning nicely with him. . .' We were so close now, we could now hear what they were saying.

"I soon have to leave. If anyone finds out I am meeting with you, I'm dead." The she-cat whispered. The black tom nodded and nuzzled the she-cats cheek, purring. "Yes, me too. But they can't hold us back if we are in love." "I know, but Crowfeather, what if I get pregnant and they ask who's the father? I might be exiled from the Tribe and be left alone without anyone to help take care of our kits!" He exclaimed. The tom wrapped his tail around hers, twining then together. "I can say your a loner and they could take you in, it would work." He suggested quietly. After a few heartbeats of silence, the tom spoke again, "Oh Deer, I must leave now." 'No! Not Deer!' I almost gasped.

"We have to catch them red handed! Now!" I whisper-hissed at Fox. He nodded and we jumped out at them. "Hey! Stop right there!" I yowled at the two. Their heads spun around in surprise and their eyes filled with shock. "Deer, your coming with us." I snarled, lips curled. 'How dare she?' "Wait! I can explain!" She wailed desperately. "No, Deer. Save it. Venom will have a talk with you," Fox hissed. "And you!" I yowled at Crowfeather who was standing there with his fur standing on end in defense. "You won't be seeing her again!" Fox growled at him. Turning around Fox pushed Deer ahead, "Move it you traitor."